~Heartless: Part Four~

part 4 of request by @Midnightfury07

WORD COUNT: 4012 :)

<><><><><><>

"Come on Eclipse! Go, go, GO!" 

Heavy branches filled with clusters of leaves swat at your already battered self as you and Eclipse blur through the woods, you on her back as she bounds off of rocks and tree trunks in a zig-zag pattern- trying her best to throw off the enemy only a few feet behind.

You whip your head around to view the creature- who gives a threatening roar in response, making your whole body tremble with fear. No matter what Eclipse does to throw the beast off- it effortlessly plows through the thick foliage, pulling tree's out of the ground and exposing the roots, resulting in loud cracking sounds that rattle your bones. 

You have already contemplated telling Eclipse to send her neon blasts in it's direction- but you don't want to harm it in any way. It's just a creature acting on it's natural instincts, protecting itself in the only way it knows possible.

Still- you do want to live, so you have to find another way out of this that doesn't involve harming the Thunderclaw.

In your desperate search for a way to escape, you spot a glowing parting in the thick forestry that leads to a disintegrating cliff- some of the oak tree's roots hanging over the edge, showing that the grounding has recently crumbled into the crashing waters below.

With a hopeful grin, you lean forward and yell to Eclipse over the sounds of chaos. 

"Head straight and dive, Eclipse! It's our only chance."  You shout as you point to the opening. 

Eclipse gladly obeys, and as soon as you reach the cliff- she dives off, taking you with her. She tucks her wings at her sides, and you lean forward, giving you the perfect aerodynamics to speed far away from the angered dragon. As the ocean quickly approaches, you rear Eclipse up in the air, the tip of her tailfin grazing the surface of the water. She then darts past the cliff, giving you an opportunity to swivel in your saddle to check on the whereabouts of the dragon. 

Sure enough, the aggravated Thunderclaw growls as it backs away from the degenerated cliff side, too afraid to jump off the edge and follow- most likely due to it's large body mass.

With a heavy exhale of relief, you place a fingerless-gloved hand over your chest, trying to calm your pounding heart as you fly far out of the dragons reach. 

The strange thing is- you have never seen a Thunderclaw so angry towards a person. Usually they are gentle giants- even the wild ones- although they can occasionally be stubborn and feisty-

they are never like that- menacing and intimidating.

Why is this one so different?

<><><><><><><>

You drag the butt of your charcoal pencil across your roughly drawn map, before stopping on an empty spot to sketch the island you had visited before hand. You cleverly name it Thunderclaw island (so creative ), and then make it a point to scratch a large X across the drawing- noting in a close margin to NEVER go there, ever again...

Just then, Eclipse lands beside you- her slick scales dripping water droplets all over your delicate map, resulting in you turning to her with a frustrated scowl. 

"Eclipse! Look at what you are doing to my map!"

Eclipse promptly scoots away, shooting you a shy, yet apologetic gummy smile- making a couple of the fish she was holding in her mouth fall to the ground with a slimy thud. You drawl back in disgust- waving your hand in front of your face to rid the air around you of the abrupt, pungent stench of torn up cod, and whatever else she caught and partially ate.