Chapter Twenty-Seven

Sorry for the extreme delay in updating this story, I've had a lot happen. But enough about me, not much happens here, but we earn some progression. 

Word count: 1242

Enjoy~

"Do you know your attackers, son?"

Luka absolutely hated this - getting interrogated by Officer Rogers. Of course, he knew he wasn't in any trouble for being attacked, but the law enforcer made him feel uncomfortable with his prodding and intense staring. 

It was a long night of pain and discomfort, he felt he barely had the energy to be talking to the officer, much less sitting across from him in a wheelchair.

And it was the fifth time he'd asked that question - if he knew his attackers or not.

"No, " Luka frowned. "For the last time, I don't know them."

The redheaded officer sharply looked at the bruised teenager.

"Now, son, I understand these questions are irritating and you're probably wanting to rest, but we need to take care of your assaulters as quickly as possible, " He said sternly. "This attack could have been random, which is why I need full details."

Luka resisted the urge to scoff. 

He was only cooperating because Roger is his mom's old friend. Luka was never good with the police. Growing up in an unstable home, and having been somewhat a rebellious pre-teen, the police were only there to make things worse. 

The boy folded his arms over his chest, slightly wincing by the action.

"Roger, " Anaraka said from the side of the room. "My son's had enough of your questions for today."

A little taken back by the woman's firmness, the officer gruffly sighed and packed up his notes and pen. 

"I understand how difficult this is, Anarka, but---"

"My son was beaten, " The mother argued, "He hasn't even had the chance to recover and you---you've got him out of bed when he should be resting."

"Anarka--"

"Ms. Couffaine." She said, hands on her hips.

Luka knew that tone more than anyone. He knew she was stressed over his situation and her overprotective tendencies pushed everyone aside like some bulldozer. But, Roger was a cop, and still, he didn't want his mom to get arrested for being...her.

"Mom, " Luka cut in. "I answered everything okay? Can I go back to my room now?"

His mother's expression softened when she looked at him.

"I'll be taking him back to his room, " Anarka spoke, moving around Roger. "You can question him some other day."

"Very well. I have this report submitted to investigations, " Roger said grimly. "But, An--Ms. Couffaine, this isn't going to go away, and you can't protect your children from the world forever."

Anarka tensed up, frowning at the officer. "I will protect my kids as long as I'm breathing, sir. It's my job. Now, how about you do yours?"

Luka had to bite his lip to refrain from saying some necessary burns as she took hold of his wheelchair. She took off his breaks and heaved him away from the table. 

The teen had to hold onto the chair so he wouldn't slide off from the force of the pull.

"Let's get back, Luka, " Anarka said. "I'll have Juleka sit with you while I can get us lunch."