Chapter 1

A boy, no younger than fourteen, sat under the shade of a crooked palm tree. As a group of his peers walked by, one boy lagged behind.

"Bruno! Join us!" he called.

"No thanks," Bruno replied. "And I'd watch my step if I were you."

The boy rolled his eyes. "Suit yourself, freak!" he scoffed before running back to join the others. He didn't get very far. He tripped over a rock, tumbling into a nearby bush. Bruno couldn't help but laugh as he watched him pick leaves out of his mouth.

"They never believe you. Do they, Bruno?" said a voice behind him. Bruno didn't even turn around.

"You said it, y/n."

You giggled and sat down next to him.

"Did I surprise you?" you asked.

"I'm never surprised," Bruno replied with a shrug. "Precognition and all that."

"When will you tell me my future?" you asked, scooting closer to him.

Bruno whipped his head around and looked incredulously at you.

"Well... I mean... most people don't like my premonitions," Bruno explained. You cut him off with a wave of your hand.

"They're just soft!" you exclaimed. "I can handle it!"

"Are you sure?"

"A thousand times yes!"

(Yes, that's my artistic interpretation of a young Bruno and Y/N

(Yes, that's my artistic interpretation of a young Bruno and Y/N. I'm gonna try and make more.)

"Okay. But don't say I didn't warn you," Bruno relented, gingerly reaching for his satchel of sand.

With a flick of his wrist, he drew a circle around the both of you. You eagerly grabbed his hands and watched as he closed his eyes and focused.

"That's strange... my visions aren't usually this far into the future," Bruno mumbled.

"What do you see?"

"I see you — but you're all grown up — maybe twenty or thirty," Bruno replied, scrunching his nose in concentration. "It's hard to tell"

"What do I look like?" you asked, clutching his hands. "Am I pretty?"

"Keeping your priorities in check, I see," he said. "If you must know, you're Beautiful. But also very sad."

"Why? What's wrong. What's happening?"

"I don't know exactly. You're just looking out a window."

He stopped talking and opened his eyes.

"That's it?" you asked.

"I'm afraid so," Bruno replied.

You dropped your hands and sighed.

"Oh..."

"You're mad at me now, aren't you?" asked Bruno. He started to fidget with his hair, twisting one of his curls tightly around his finger.

"I'm not! I'm more confused than anything, really," you answered.

Then, your face broke into a smile and you elbowed him playfully.

"But at least I'm gonna be pretty, eh?"

Bruno smiled and shook his head.

"Not that it would make much of a difference," he said. Then, realizing what he said, Bruno froze.

"Wow! Smooth like butter!" you snickered.

Before he could respond; Pepa, his sister, came storming over to him — Literally — there was a hurricane following after her, leaving a trail of moderate destruction in its wake.

"Bruno!" she fumed. "You were supposed to be home an hour ago! Didn't you hear mamá calling you?"

Pepa seized him by the collar and yanked him to his feet. Then, she turned to you.

"Hola, y/n! Sorry about that. Brothers! you know what I mean?" Pepa chirped. The hurricane disappeared and she was suddenly all smiles.

"Hah! All too well!" you replied, omitting the fact you were an only child for the sake of keeping her temper at bay.

"Oh! We have to go. Adios, y/n!" said Pepa. As she dragged Bruno away, he twisted in her grip and waved.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" he asked.

"Tomorrow for sure!" you replied, waving back.