Chapter 6

Julieta and Pepa were caught up in their cooking when you entered the kitchen. The smells combined with the steam nearly suffocated you. You wouldn't have minded, though. The aroma of home-cooked food made you drool.

Pepa heaved a stack of plates onto the counter with a grunt. Bruno hurried over to help.

"You're here, finally! Take these and—"
Pepa began giving out orders but halted when she noticed you. A magnificent ray of sunlight burst through the window and she squealed with delight.

"Y/n? is it really you? It couldn't be — Oh, it really is you!" she sputtered, tripping over her own words.

Julieta, who was busy stirring something in a bowl, lazily turned her head.

"What's the matter, Pepa?" she asked.

Pepa grabbed her shoulders and twisted her around to face you. Julieta nearly dropped her bowl.

"Ay, díos! You're back?! I thought you left the encanto for good!" she exclaimed.

"I thought so too.." you replied.

Pepa pulled the three of you into a group hug. Bruno just stood there watching. You were never that close with either of his sisters. Yet they were, by far, the happiest to see you.

"You'll stay for dinner, won't you?" asked Julieta.

Abuela chimed in.

"You'll be happy to know she's staying for the night."

The group hug tightened. Julieta suddenly gasped.

"The food! I almost forgot!" she said, rushing back to the stove.

"Right!" said Pepa, nodding. She pointed to Bruno.

"You, get the kids while I wrangle Félix and Agustín."

Bruno motioned to the plates piled up in his hands. Pepa waved him off.

"Forget the plates. Now, go!"

She pointed at you next.

"You're coming with me, mija."