Chapter 4

You found Bruno entertaining a gaggle of school children by the water fountain. Although streaks of his hair had started to turn grey and he'd lost a considerable amount of weight, it was as though nothing changed.

He was so busy answering the children's many questions he didn't even notice when you tapped his shoulder.

"I'll be with you. Just wait your turn, okay?" Bruno half-chuckled. One little girl tugged his ruana and pointed at you.

"Bruno, is that your girlfriend?" she asked.

"Girlfriend? I don't have a—"

Bruno turned around and almost fell backwards into the water. He steadied himself on shaking hands and blinked hard.

"Y/n!?" he gasped.

You offered him an awkward wave.

"It's been a while.." you said.

"Yeah.." said Bruno, turning his attention the horde of kindergarteners gathering around you. "Kids, could you excuse us for a sec? This is grown-up business."

"Ooh! He's gonna kiss her!" one boy exclaimed.

The children all shrieked in disgust. You covered your ears. Bruno jumped to his feet and hurriedly shooed them away. They all scurried off in a fit of giggles.

"Great. Now they're gonna tell the whole town," he sighed, slumping his shoulders. "Kids these days!"

You didn't answer. Here you were; back in town after being gone for the better part of two decades, and the only thing on Bruno's mind was that some school-kids might start a rumor that you were dating him? You clenched your jaw.

"Wasn't there something you wanted to say?" you asked expectantly through gritted teeth. Bruno stared at you blankly for a minute.

"I mean... you're back! That's... well, that's something! Isn't it?" he replied, all the while looking around so as to avoid making eye contact with you.

You'd forgotten how gauche he could be sometimes. It drove you crazy! Right as you were about to give him a piece of your mind, Abuela Alma, the matriarch of the Madrigal family, briskly walked over to you.

"Y/n? Is it really you?" she asked, gently cupping her hands around your face and looking you thrice over. "What brings you here?"

"I'm just back for a visit," you lied.

"Do you have anywhere to stay?"

"Well. Yes, back in the countryside—"

Abuela clapped her hands.

"That's too long of a journey home. And it's almost sundown. Stay with us, please. The others would be so happy to see you," she said.

"You really mean it?" you asked. Abuela nodded.

"Of course!" she replied. "After all, you were always so close with my Bruñito."