Past Lives (Mokha)

"Hey Dongha," Jake inquired. "How did you and Seongmok become friends? Aside from the fact that both of you love to fight, you two are very different. Seongmok's all quiet and serious while you're loud and chaotic,"

"How did we meet?" Dongha's insane grin turned into a small, gentle smile as he reminisced about the past. But it wasn't just any past, but his and Seongmok's previous life.

XXX

Centuries ago, as a child, Dongha Baek lived on the streets as a beggar. He stole and fought both for survival and for entertainment, resulting in him becoming infamous throughout his village. As he grew from a child to a teenager, Dongha didn't know what to do with his life. It's not like he could get an honest job in the village, not that he wanted one.

So, he left the village. He took a path through a forest and unfortunately, he encountered some bandits. He did his best to fight off the bandits, but they overpowered him. Just as they were about to kill Dongha, one of the bandits were beheaded.

Dongha watched as Prince Seongmok Do killed all of the bandits. Seongmok held his hand out to Dongha and helped him up.

"Thanks," Dongha then noticed something was off. "Where are your royal guards?"

Seongmok didn't answer. Judging from his expression, he obviously didn't want to talk about it.

"Hey," Dongha suggested. "It's lonely to travel by yourself. Wanna be my travel buddy?"

Seongmok nodded.

The two were together for years. Seongmok didn't mind Dongha's violent nature and actually enjoyed fighting alongside him. 

Dongha eventually found out the reason why Seongmok had so much freedom compared to other royals: the royal family deemed Seongmok's muteness to be too big of a flaw and unworthy of having claim to the throne. 

Dongha thought that it was a stupid reason and decided that it was the royal family's lost.

Tragedy struck when Seongmok was ambushed when alone. He was stabbed in the stomach and left in a burning building to die. When Dongha found out, he didn't even hesitate to rush inside.

"The wound's too deep," Dongha teared up when he saw Seongmok's wound. "Y-You...You lost so much blood...But it'll be fine, Seongmok!"

Seongmok shook his head and tried to push Dongha away. He wanted Dongha to save himself.

"I'm not leaving you," Dongha refused. "If you die...I'll die with you,"

Seongmok shook his head and once again tried to push him to leave. 

"I won't leave you here," Dongha repeated as he sat down beside Seongmok and interlocked their fingers. "We're the Mokha Duo. It won't be the same without you,"

XXX

"Are you having one of those long anime flashback?" Jake's voice snapped Dongha back to the present. "You've been staring off into space for the last fifteen minutes,"

"Seongmok and I go way back," Dongha vaguely answered Jake's previous question.

After being reincarnated, Dongha reunited with Seongmok in middle school. He was devastated to learn that Seongmok hadn't retained any of  his past life's memory, but was grateful that the universe at least let them be together again.

Dongha didn't regret dying all those years ago. He would give up his life for Seongmok without hesitation. If Seongmok dies, then he'd die with him.

Will Seongmok ever remember?