Zombie Apocalypse (Dawnverse)

I've always wanted to write a Zombie Apocalypse AU fanfic since 2015 but could never really figure out how to do it.
So, instead, here's a one-shot in the Sorrowverse of what would happen if the zombie apocalypse happened in the Dawnverse.

How many of them had made it?

How many of them had they lost?

Orion scanned the sea of faces within the group and he could visibly see that there was definitely less people than what they had started with. He silently took roll in his head.

The people that were missing were many, including Gray, Stephen, Eugene, Timothy, Doyoon...

"Where's Dawn?" Orion's question had been whispered, but it mind as well have been shouted throughout the entire empty school cafeteria.

Everyone immediately began looking around for any signs of her.

"Dad..." Donald's voice cracked, trembling with fear and worry. "Where's my little sister?"

Orion placed his hands on Donald's shoulders. "I'll go out and find her. She must still be nearby,"

"You're not seriously thinking of going out there!" Janghyeok exclaimed. 

"MY DAUGHTER IS STILL OUT THERE, JANGHYEOK!" Orion screamed. "Not only Dawn, but so many others are also still out there!

"Do you know how many zombies are right outside that door?" Janghyeok pointed out. "You'll immediately be swarmed!"

"Then am I supposed to give up on them!?" Orion demanded.

"No," Janghyeok shook his head. "You take a deep breath, calm down, and think of a plan,"

"But—"

"I know that time is of essence, but if you rush in without a plan you'll immediately get yourself infected before you can even reach any of your kids," 

"Dad," Donald's entire body was trembling. "Uncle Janghyeok's right..." He leaned against Kingsley for support, feeling as if his legs would give out any second.

Donald only ever called Janghyeok "Uncle" when he was terrified.

XXX

Half an hour later, everyone froze upon hearing movement coming from the kitchen. "Fuck!" They had forgotten to lock the kitchen's doors.

"We brought food," Gray's voice allowed the survivors to let out a sigh of relief. 

He, Dawn, and Stephen came out of the kitchen with plastic bags and backpacks filled with supplies. But...all three of them looked like fully turned zombies.

"G-Gray?" Sophia called to her son nervously. "Is that you?"

"Yes Mom, it's me," Gray nodded. "You're all understandably startled by our appearances. Yes, we were turned into zombies. No, we won't attack you guys,"

"Donuts," Dawn groaned, taking out a donut and biting into it. She then hugged her giant walrus plushy tightly. "Hyunjin IV,"

"Dawn, Stephen, and I seem to be...atypical zombies," Gray explained. "I am disgusted by the idea of biting humans and retain most of my intellect and humanity. Stephen would rather hug me than attack humans. Dawn would rather eat desserts and hug her plushy instead of attacking humans,"

Dawn walked up to Forrest and leaned her forehead against his chest. "Forrest..."

"D-Dawn..." Forrest teared up and hugged his girlfriend. "I'm so sorry! I-I thought that you were right behind me! I should've held your hand and never let go!"

"It's okay," Dawn hugged him back. "Not your fault,"

XXX

Janghyeok and Orion were discussing things away from the rest of the group. "There's hope for a cure," Janghyeok said. "But I'm worried about those three,"

"Me too," Orion nodded grimly. "We both know that the government and military will either kill them on sight or take them into custody. If they're taken into custody...they'll be experimented on. They'll be tortured,"

"We can't let them be taken away," 

"We won't let them be taken away,"

Stephen is unable to speak at all and just makes zombie sounds while hugging or leaning against Gray. Dawn can talk but slower and a bit slurred. Gray is exactly the same as he was as a human except slightly more physically fit.