Chapter 3

I was worried about Arya. When I woke up to find her gone, I assumed she'd be back soon. As the day progressed, however, with no sign of her return, I went to Maleficent. Upon confirmation that Maleficent had asked her to fulfill something, my tension was relieved. Still, as the day drew to a close, the worry renewed itself. Maleficent had been very sparing on the details regarding the task she set Arya to.

"Why do you look so worried?" Maleficent asked from her position next to me.

"I believe you know already, Mistress." I inclined my head to her slightly.

"Of course I do. I want to hear it from you." She said, spreading her wings to stretch them.

"Where did you send Arya, Mistress?" I asked, looking at her.

"That, I cannot tell you. But she is looking for something rare and it could take an unprecedented amount of time." Maleficent divulged, her mind clearly elsewhere.

"Could I join her, Mistress?" I inquired.

"No, I need one of you here with me. Though Aurora is Queen, I am still Guardian of the Moors." Maleficent said, looking thoughtful.

I sighed but nodded. "Of course, Mistress."

Maleficent suddenly gasped in pain and I turned to see her grabbing at her chest, a circular red mark having suddenly appeared on her skin.

"Mistress, what is it?" I asked, kneeling by her. Maleficent shook her head, her breathing starting to become labored although she kept her head up and eyes focused. "Mistress?" She said nothing, but looked at me, trying to regain her breath.

"Mistress, what is the problem?" I asked again.

"Find-" Maleficent cut off, hissing in pain. "Find Aurora." I nodded hurriedly and transformed into a raven, taking off toward the Ulstead castle. I hoped Aurora would be able to help in ways I could not.

***

A loud laugh echoed in my ears and my eyes snapped open. The first thing I registered was the light, followed by the bars in front of me and beyond that were three men.

"Nice catch we've caught, right men?" A man with cropped blonde hair and a diagonal scar running across what might have once been handsome features. Clearly the leader of this small pack.

"That pelt would get a fine price." The black haired man agreed. My heart faltered. No way were they going to kill and skin me. Not without a fight.

"No, no. We agreed this time that we would sell our next catch alive to the highest bidder. They can do what they want with it after that." The shorter blonde man argued.

"We did that last time, Edward!"

"No we didn't! It's my trap, I dec-" Edward started, only to be interrupted by the tall blonde.

"Enough, both of you! We'll sell it alive this time, Edward, but next time, me and Richard get to do what we want to the next one. Agreed?" He glared at the man called Edward. Edward nodded and the man called Richard consented.

"Fine, Arthur. Just this once, Ed." Richard sent a pointed look at Edward.

"Good, now let's get the dog out and get back. We're closer to the Moors than I'd like." Arthur cast a glance behind me in the direction of the Moors and Ulstead. The men Edward and Richard moved toward the cage, each with different items in their hands. I got unsteadily to my feet and growled, baring my teeth and flattening my ears, but the men just smirked at each other. The pain of the pendant burning into me was nothing compared to the fear I felt as the men drew nearer.