4. Retrieving Memories

Hello, (insert your name here)!

Thanks so much for reading this thing. I hope you really like it so far, and while I have no idea where this book is heading, I'm hoping that you'll stay with me throughout the entire thing. 

Also, new thing: I may just stick to updating over the weekend. This may not be a guarantee because I'm busy on those days too so if I forget you, don't hate me! :)

Dedicated to @koalalovers for just being awesome!

P.S. I just want to know...does anyone really read these or do you all just skip to the story? Ugh! Look at me, getting off topic and distracting you from reading and—oh, right. :)

~~~

Simon's POV

        "Dude, when are we gonna practice?" Eric complained. "You always say that you'll be coming, and then I get a call from you saying that you can't make it! How are we gonna get noticed of our bassist isn't here practicing with us?"

        I sighed. "Eric, we can barely stick with a name for our band."

        "The name doesn't matter at this point," he replied. "What matters is that we play good music, which would be a result of us practicing regularly." He then gave me a pointed look.

        "I'm sorry, man," I replied. "It's just that I've been distracted lately."

        "By that mysterious girl you mean," Eric stated rather than asked.

        I jumped when I realized he was referring to Isabelle. "Wh-what do you mean? What mystery girl?"

        He rolled his eyes at me. "Don't play dumb, Simon. I've seen her like once or twice with you, and you get that weird spacey look in your eyes."

        I sighed once more. "No, I don't."

        "Yes, you do."

        "Eric, I don't."

        "Fine!" he exclaimed, exasperated. "Don't admit it; it's still obvious that you look like a lovesick puppy when you're with her."

        "Shut up," I muttered. 

        "Well, I'll see you around, Simon," Eric, told me, getting up from my living room couch and walking toward the door. "When you're really ready to start playing again, let me know so we could all practice together."

      I cringed when he said it. I felt really guilty that I was letting my band down, and, more importantly, my best friends. It was true; I had been canceling practice meetings, and even one gig because I wanted to go see Isabelle again. At first, I think that they'll understand because they're my friends, and they would care for me a lot.

       Then I wonder if I was doing the right thing. Being with Izzy is like curling up with an awesome book to read or playing my favorite video game. I always enjoy her company whenever I'm with her despite the arguments we have. 

        Maybe now, because Isabelle is going on that trip with her family, I could have time for the band. If only I could force myself to keep on doing that even after Iz comes back.

        Ugh. This is mentally frustrating. And, no pun was intended for my actual "missing" memories, which still haven't been retrieved yet.

       I start to rise from my living room couch, with intentions to hunt around the kitchen for something to eat. My mother was out grocery shopping because her list wasn't on the fridge at that moment, and my sister, Rebecca, headed back out to New Jersey. As I stood up, however, I heard this weird groaning sound from upstairs. My heart rate was starting to rise, but I needed to reassure myself that it was merely a plumbing problem, and we needed to call someone to fix it.