11. Operation SSL

Izzy's POV

In times like these, I wanted to break down and cry, kill Lucifer himself, and yell into the heavens-all at the same time. Yes, I know it's impossible, but how else am I supposed to release my anger? I can't just politely walk up to the king of all demons and say, "I'm so sorry to bother you on this lovely day. Now, you may want to sit down for this because this may be overwhelming. Could you, I don't know, let me tear you limb from limb? If you could just clear up your schedule for tomorrow so that we could get started right away, that would be great. Thanks!"

Because that would definitely end well.

"Father, this is absolutely ridiculous," Magnus said. "Even if we say, 'yeah, sure, we'll give you Idris' that doesn't necessarily mean you'll have it."

"Is there anything you can do to stop the process?" Alec asked Magnus.

"Not that I can think of," he replied.

I turned to one of the demons I hated the most. "Is there honestly anything you can do?"

Asmodeus smiled. "That's only if you're willing to bargain with me."

"You're well aware that we can't do that, Father," Magnus said.

"I am very well aware," he said, "which is why it is very amusing to watch you all suffer!"

Jace turned to me. "Izzy, you...you know we can't. This is just bigger than us."

Tears were threatening to fall down from my face. "I-I know. I...I just don't even want to think about being without him. He's just been a part of so much in my life, especially after Max..."

Jace cut me off. "I know. But we can't barter with Asmodeus with something that affects the lives of all Shadowhunters. We can't give him what he wants."

The annoying prick opened his mouth. "Time is running out..."

Alec stepped up. "Is there anything else we can give to you? Memories, parts of our soul?"

The evil demon was weighing what he said. "While the thought of more precious memories in my arsenal is tempting, I don't think I require anymore. Edom is very powerful, and I don't need to add anything more to it for the time being. I don't collect parts of mortal souls; I think that's more of Satan's doing, but nevertheless, I will offer you an alternative."

"What is it then, Father," Magnus said.

Asmodeus' eyes blazed. "Now, son, I never raised you to be rude."

"That's because you didn't raise me at all."

"You should at least show some respect..."

"Just tell us what you want," the warlock replied.

"Someone's life or," the demon paused to look at his son, "their immortality."

Magnus sighed. "Fine, take my life."

"Magnus!" Alec exclaimed. "You can't do that! What about us?"

He looked solemnly at Alec. "There will be no 'us' if he," gesturing to his father, "doesn't get what he wants. He's right. He can never be denied."

"That doesn't matter," my brother continued. "You mean something to all of us."

"My father won't stop. If he doesn't get my life, he will get someone else's, and if not yours, an innocent mundane's. In the end, someone will die. Might as well be me. It was bound to happen sooner or later." Magnus turned to Alec. "I'm just sorry it had to happen so soon after I fell in love with you."