12. The Aftermath

Izzy's POV

You would think that after all we've been through, our troubles would be long from over. But fate, and its cruel and mysterious ways begs to differ.

I still don't know how Magnus did it. I know she and him go a long way back, even stating that she's been with him for so long, that she, "would never trade her time with him in Peru." Catarina then smiled at Magnus, but he gave her a withering look. I really do wonder what happened there, but whenever I bring it up, Magnus shuts it down.

Then there's Simon. For the past 12 hours, he's been unconscious. Magnus and Catarina both have no idea what Asmodeus has done to Simon's mind. They don't want to try anything that might damage his memory even more.

So...you can see why fate begged to differ.

I mean, after all this time, the emotional torture I've been through, just to get Simon back...only to go through it again some more.

Now, we're back at the Institute with no way so far to revive Simon and no healthy way to relieve the stress clouding my thoughts. I tried to ease my spinning head somewhat by sleeping, but it hasn't exactly worked out as I hoped.

Catarina is so nice. Like, so nice, I wonder how she puts up with Magnus all this time.

Then again, my brother is nice, and he's in love with him.

Catarina says that she's doing everything she can to help Simon, but because she's working with demonic magic, she needs to be careful, even more so because he's a mundane.

I wanted to stay in his room for the night, but Catarina won't let me. I have resolved to stay in my room, but my mind constantly returns to him. Alec knew I needed space, however, Jace doesn't seem to think so. He followed me to my room, claiming I needed a good pep talk.

"You have to stop worrying about Mundie in there," he said. "He'll be just fine. The important thing is that we have him here so he isn't in danger anymore."

I shot him a look. "After all this time, you still call him Mundie?"

Jace being Jace, he says, "I thought everyone still does."

I laugh. It felt good to laugh, especially after so much depression. "The only person who ever said 'Mundie' was you. Even Alec called him 'Mundane'. Only you would give Simon a nickname for his nickname."

"Simon!" He exclaims as if remembering an old song. "That's a hard one to remember."

Rolling my eyes, I say, "You're the only one who can't remember. Or, at least, you don't make an effort."

He smiles. "Touché. Look, the point is, Iz, that we, Simon included, have been through hell and back. Figuratively and literally. Honestly, and don't tell him I said this, but there really is nothing that the world can throw at him that he can't handle. He is going to be all right."

"But what if he never wakes up? I mean, what if he's like that forever?" I pressed. "There are so many things I want to say to him..."

"You will," he says, not bothering to ask exactly what I meant by that. I have a feeling anyway that he already knows. "You will get the chance to say everything to him."

My heart aches just thinking about him. "I just need to know that he'll be okay for sure."

"He will be." Jace says in a matter-of-fact tone. "You just have to be patient. Besides, Catarina's the best. She'll do everything she can."

As if on cue, Clary starts banging loudly on my bedroom door. "Jace! Isabelle! You have to get to the infirmary wing. Simon's up!"

Simon's POV