24: SANCHEZ & LOGAN - HEA DUDES (6)

LADY LIBERTY and the new Freedom Tower, New York City

Part 6: THE DISTANCE (1)

Back in New York a few days later, I managed to return to Earth and the life I still had to live till Christmas. It wasn't all that hard to do. My normal way of life was so busy with work and deadlines that it was exactly what I needed to keep my mind occupied and focused.

I called my agency and editor and told them both I wanted more work than usual. No problem there, I was quite in demand in both quarters. I was quickly back in the modeling swing of things doing editorial, catalog, in-store, and runway, and I got a three-novel contract from my publisher. The first book was a macho man World War 2 adventure set in the South Pacific islands. which had already been outlined by the original writer who'd opted out to write a script for a Netflix original series. The second was an adult historical western, one of a series I'd written for before, and I enjoyed writing about that sexy womanizing cowboy. Those two would definitely keep me busy just doing the research.

The third book was the final volume of the latest teen dystopian trilogy bestseller. There was sort of an outline with it, more like gibberish and random notes. The young author's sudden fame and celebrity from the first two books, which were being made into movies, had gone to her head and she was currently in a detox rehab unable to even write her name. She'd only been able to sign the ghost contract with a very sloppy version of it. But I'd read the first two books and liked the story and characters, and I knew just what to do for the final one, which would eventually be made into a movie too.

So yah, I was busy. But I still had Logan on my mind every minute of the day. Even while doing underwear in those crowded studio locker rooms, half-naked and often completely naked, all day long, with many of the other models hitting on me ...

"C'mon, Sanchez, let's go out and boogie tonight. Then I'll show you my new pad in the East Village."

Or, "Dude! There's a new bath house down in Nolita. Come with me tomorrow night and we'll show off these hot bods of ours and have some fun."

Or, from an awesome looking Asian fellow ... "Big party in Korea Town Friday night, buddy. All photographers and models. I need a date. With you on my arm I'll be The Next Big Thing. Huh?"

I would've jumped at all that before, but now I couldn't care less. All I could think about was fifty-below, snow snow snow, the northern lights flaming outside the window, and Logan and I nice and cozy inside in each other's arms.

I really enjoyed the in-store work. I hadn't done any in years. It was the way I started out in modeling when I first came to New York. I'd met a couple older guys who were lovers, and they were very good to me. They lived uptown on the Upper East Side in a grand old townhouse, and I lived in there with them in a servants' suite on the top floor for a few years. They both had a lot of money, but one was extremely rich and just about owned a world-famous Fifth Avenue department store. He was its major stockholder.