7

They twisted and turned around every corner and bend you could think of, it was like a never ending journey. Eventually, Susan came to a halt.

"Hm, too dark." She snapped her fingers and it turned daytime. As much as Mary liked the day, she did prefer it at night with all the magical lights of Christmas shone brightly. "Did I tell you to stop, Mary?"

Mary nodded her head sharply, and quickly sped off after Susan.

"Where exactly are we going Miss Susan?"

"Where all secrets can be found. Also known as the pub."

Mary frowned but carried on walking. Why would Susan be taking her to the pub?

"Trust me, all the gossip happens in the pub. People let things spill when they get drunk."

She cracked a small smile but hid it back behind a frown as she saw that Mary had noticed. She had a reputation for being very firm, she can not smile. That is not being firm.

They arrived in the small pub with dangling lights all over the shop and glasses hanging above the bar. The carpet was quite disgusting as it had crumbs all over it, and over time, it had faded to this pukey-red colour. The seat were leather and were quite comfy, however most had splits in. The tables had lots of chewing gum stuck under them and they were all scratched. But overall, it was really cosy and put her in the warm Christmasy spirit.

"Right. First things first. I am very firm," she paused, but after seeing the expression on Mary's face, she decided to continue. "But also very fair. Now that that's over and done with, I can help you get out."

'Get out? How does she know I'm stuck in a painting?'

"I know what you are thinking, Mary. This town, as normal as most parts may seem, it is not. Talking mice, living carrots, floating sheep? And here you are. Normal. No normal person turns up here every day. I'm normal too, you know. I got stuck here as well. I can get you out, I just stayed because who wouldn't?"

"But don't you miss your family?"

"Mary! That is incredibly private! Hmp!" She crossed her arms, closed her eyes and stuck her nose up in the air.

"Would you stop sulking? I'm sorry it was a private question, I didn't intentionally say it that way. But what are you, five? I asked one question and I've only just met you and the only things we've done is sat in a pub and argue! Are you going to help me get out or what?" She stopped talking, feeling very proud of herself for sticking up for herself. Unfortunately, Susan wasn't going to snap.

"Nobody talks to me that way. No body wins an argument against me. If I am to help you get out we will work together, and as the sensible, mature adult, you will listen to me. Do I make myself clear?" She asked in a sort of whisper, making her sound more angry.

Mary did not want to stay in the painting, no matter how much she enjoyed it. She had family to go to. They must be worried.

"Yes, you do make yourself clear."

"Good. I told you I always win."