8

Susan pointed to an old railway track and train that circled around the centre-piece of the town, the Christmas tree.

"There," Susan started. "We'll get on that and," she hesitated. "You'll see."

The train was stunning. There were as many lights on the train as there were in the whole village. The lights beamed and dazzled and dangled from the chimney, windows, ledges and anything they could cling onto. Her wheels were smooth and shiny as if they had been polished.

Susan gasped. "Look at her." Susan's eyes twinkled as she gazed at the train, leaving her gob-smacked. She was in absolute awe. "The Singotonial express." She smiled slightly.

"Right. Follow me, child." Susan clutched Mary's hand and dragged her down the hill, like a dog on a lead. Mary slipped into Susan causing them both to cascade down the slippery hill, all the way down to the bottom. Susan glared at Mary and Mary just glanced at her feet, guiltily. Susan went back to looking at the train as if she was worshipping it. Mary peered round everywhere, getting a better view, before getting yanked, by Susan, closer towards the train.

"When I say jump, jump, and don't let go for your life."

"What-"

"Jump!"

Like tigers, they pounced onto the train. Susan was already climbing to the roof of the train, but Mary, who was incredibly baffled, was struggling to cling on.

One hand slipped.

The train was going too fast.

If her other hand went, she would be flung back, onto the track, right in front of the train.

She couldn't let go...

She did.

"NO!" Mary heard Susan screech after her, for the first time, seeing Susan have tears in her eye. She actually cared.

Mary had been flung back onto the track, hitting hard, landing on her back first. She curled up like a beetle, before turning around to see the light, from the train's headlights, peeking round the corner. Her back was too stiff. The landing caused her to be in excruciating pain and she couldn't stand up.

Susan stood up, balancing on the roof of the train, and started walking, slowly and carefully, to the driver's carriage. She couldn't tell the driver to stop because it was a life size, remote controlled, toy train. There was no driver. She reached her hand out, stretched as far as she could, touching Mary's fingers. Mary still couldn't stand, but, she could still grab hold of things. She held Susan's hand, and with the sheer force and speed of the train, it seized her onto the roof.

Mary's heart was beating extremely fast and her heart was racing.

'I could have died!
Susan, of all people, SAVED me!
I almost got run over by a train!
I was so scared!
My back hurts so much, I can't move!
I could have DIED!'

"Mary, Mary! Mary wake up!" Susan was leaning over Mary, still on the train. Mary was laid back.

Susan, for the first time, finally, gently, picked up Mary's hand, and softly squeezed it. A few gold sparks shot out of Susan's hand, into Mary's, and if nothing had happened, Mary's back was fine, and so was she. She leaped up and hugged Susan before looking into her eyes, realised who she was hugging, and let go.

Susan smiled softly and wrapped her arms around Mary, who was completely relived. She thought she would get a right telling off for hugging Susan. But, all happiness has to come to an end, and the smile drained off Susan's face and suddenly she became the same, old, stern character again.