You do not quit. Ever

(Polly's P.O.V.)
I was sitting in the living room together with Arthur, John, Ada and Finn. It was Sunday and we always have family dinner with all of us. John and Ada had their kids with them as well. This time it was at Tom's home. "What is taking them so long?" Arthur asked, annoyed that he has to wait any longer, "I'm starving". "They'll be here soon. Tommy never misses a family dinner" Ada answered back. But the minutes passed and we were now waiting for about 1.5 hours. "Alright we are going to have a look where they are. Let's go John-boy" Arthur said pulling his jacket from his chair. But then the front door opened. We all looked towards the opening of the hallway. Tommy soon enough walked in. He was either drenched from the rain or from sweat, which one I couldn't tell. "Where's Roe?" Ada asked walking past him to look in the hallway for her niece. "I lost her" He whispered just enough for me to hear as he walked to a chair and sat down in complete and utter silence. My mind started to race with questions? Lost her? How did he lose her? Did someone take her? Who took her? But I quickly got my composure back. "Thomas what happened to Roelynn?" I asked a bit harder. Like a mother asking if a child had stolen a cookie from the cookie jar. He lit a cigarette and put it up to his mouth to take a drag. I noticed his hand was shaking when he lit the cigarette. I walked towards the table and put my hands on it and looked him straight into his eyes. "What. Happened. To. Roe?" I asked him with a low growl. He looked me in the eyes and I saw an emotion you never or don't often see in Tommy Shelby. And that is sadness.

Days later

I tried to help Tommy the best I could. We all did. Peaky Blinders were on the search every hour of the day. Hell, even Alfie and his men helped out to look for Roe. He often would come and tell Tommy what they had found. But it was never good news. With every passing hour I could see Tommy losing hope and I was going to remind him that we do not ever give up. Especially if it comes to someone we love, no matter how slim the chances of seeing them again are. We do not quit.

I walked into his office ready to give him a piece of discipline. I opened the door and saw him drinking another bottle of whiskey. He wanted to forget, wanted to ease the pain of losing his child. But not even alcohol can do that. He took another drink and stumbled down.

I grabbed ahold of him and placed him in a chair

I grabbed ahold of him and placed him in a chair. "Poll not now" he told me and waved his hand at me. "Shut up and listen to me" I told him sharply, "and you better listen well to what I have to say".

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
I sighed but listened to her. "Don't you dare give up. Not on her" Polly scolded me. I looked up to meet her eyes. "Cause I'm going to tell you something, Thomas" she said standing up and waving her finger at me. "You are not a horrible father". "I am a horrible father!" I screamed at her cutting her off, "I let her get taken away from me!". "No you are not! Cause a horrible father will quit. But I'm not letting you quit" She loudly said back, "You could not have prevented this even if you could have predicted the future. This was not your fault and it doesn't matter how many people tell you that it is your fault" she said trying to cheer me up. But it was no use, it was my fault. "Especially if that person happens to be you". Her eyes narrowed and she nodded at me. "that's right. Cause sometimes it's not what others say that keeps you shackled in shame. Sometimes it's your inner voice that shoves you into that dark corner of despair. Like an abuser telling you that you failed. And right now, Tommy. It's convincing you by saying, if only this and what if that. Saying you could've or should've done this or that and maybe then Roe would not have been taken" she declared. "I have seen you fall and get up over and over again. So get some fucking guts and make that brain of yours work" she said pointing at my head.

(Polly's P.O.V.)
I watched him look down at the ground. I knew he was thinking. His eyes shot back up at mine. "I've got a plan" he announced.

Published: 12th of December 2021