chapter three "Cloudy with a chance of rain."

Hunter bolted upright as a crack of thunder shook the windows. He hugged his knees to his chest, slowing his breathing. Just another nightmare...He sighed. He needed therapy. Or some way to forget whatever was causing the nightmares.

He knew what caused them. He knew exactly what it was. It was the missions he went on with Updike that went wrong in some way or another. 

The Fluffway case: Hunter wasn't looking where he was going and almost fell to his death down into the basement of the factory.

The Floodboard case: He almost drowned because he hit his head on something and was out for a while.

The alleyway dragon case: Updike was distracted by Hunter and almost got killed.

The Thundersnake case: Hunter almost got Updike zapped and killed.

Warpstrike Case: Hunter almost got teleported into a pit of acid.

Hunter started panicking as he thought over everything that had happened in the past month. God...He hated how inept he acted.

His act got everyone almost killed on more than one occasion. Hunter checked the time; 2:30 AM. Hunter shook his head, grabbing his phone and hitting speed dial on a phone number on his phone.

"Hello?" A soft voice answered over the phone.

"*Snf hic* Theena....?" Hunter hiccupped.

"Hunter? What's wrong? Wh-Why're you crying?" Athena asked.

"I-I had another nightmare again...." Hunter sniffled.

"Again? Hunter, honey, you need to get help for those...!" Athena frowned.

"And what, admit I'm broken? I'll be late into work and Updike'll demand to know where I was and-and-and-and I don't need that Weatherboy knowing I'm goin' to therapy!" Hunter blurted out.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, dear!" Athena reassured.

After a while, the two stopped talking and Hunter hung up. Hunter sighed for a moment. He knew what'd relax him. He got up, heading to the kitchen and grabbing a glass.

One drink couldn't hurt. He downed the glass of whiskey, already feeling slightly more tired. Hunter kept throwing down glasses of whiskey until he felt like he was gonna fall asleep standing up. He'd be fine in the morning. It'd be fine.

Or so he thought.

The plant pot in the front desk area of The Greater Good HQ said otherwise. He didn't know how long he was hanging in there, but he felt the blood start rushing to his head. He was fine. He meant to run into the plant pot. It wasn't his fault that the plant chose to be there!

"Are...you gonna move?" Updike asked.

"Ohai Gaaaaabeeeeeey~!" Hunter hiccupped.

Updike cringed slightly. "Oh no."

"What's wrong, Gabey?" Hunter hiccupped. Hunter squeaked as he was pulled out of the plant pot.

"Oh God...you're drunk." Updike grimaced.

"Nooooo, you!" Hunter said, laughing as he gently booped Updike on the snoot.

"Okay, you need to lie down." Updike frowned.

"Ask me out to dinner first, babe~!" Hunter winked.

"Don't call me that."

"Hee hee, you look pretty~" Hunter chuckled.

"Thank you for the compliment, but you need to sit down." Updike sighed.

"I seem to have lost my *hic* number, can I have...*hic* yours~?" Hunter asked, giggling slightly.