Chapter 5 "Stay alive."

(TWs ahead for: Sexual references, use of the word slut, intrusive thoughts(I guess), teasing,  eating problem mention, skin picking mention, spread of harmful rumors, and suicidal thoughts/suicide attempt(he gets talked down from it don't worry). Be careful and take care of yourselves, guys!)

When Hunter woke up the next morning, he slowly trudged out of the bedroom and into the living room, forgetting about last night. "Mh...." Hunter groaned, faceplanting on the couch. 

"God..." Hunter groaned.

"If you wanted snuggles, you could have asked." Updike grumbled.

Hunter's eyes shot wide open and he fell off the couch, mumbling in a panic to himself.

"Sorry, sir!" Hunter blurted out. "I-I forgot you were there!" Hunter explained.

"Mhm..." Updike groaned, sitting upright. "Understandable...I don't typically help out with if an employee is struggling, after all." 

"Right. Sentimentality gets you nowhere or hurt." Hunter nodded slowly.

"Get attached too quickly, you'll only get hurt when they leave." Updike nodded.

The room was silent for a few moments. "...I'm sorry I used Rosemary against you the other day, Mister Updike, sir..." Hunter mumbled. "Even if I was upset, I shouldn't have done that and it was wrong. I apologize with all my heart." Hunter added.

"Mh. Don't let it happen again." Updike warned.

"Yes sir." Hunter nodded.

Hunter stood awkwardly for a few moments, the room in complete silence. "...What was she like?"

"Sorry?" Updike asked.

"Rosemary, I mean." Hunter said gently.

Updike froze.

"...." He was silent. Did he really think he was going to open up to him?

"....Hunter..."

"Yes, sir...?" Hunter asked nervously.

"What makes you think...." Updike started, standing up. "You deserve to know that information?" He finished, glaring down at Hunter. 

"I-I was just- Hunter stammered. 

"Don't." Updike warned. "You don't have the right to know about her." He added.

"I just wanted to-"

"To what? Find out more about me so you can hurt me more?" Updike accused. "No thank you."

Hunter froze. "That's not-"

"See you at work." Updike said, getting up and leaving.

"Wait-" Hunter said, reaching out and grabbing his arm.

"DON'T." He glared, Hunter letting go. "This was just courtesy. I didn't do this because I care." That was a lie. "I did it so that you didn't end up hurting or killing yourself. Nothing more." He explained coldly.

"I......" Hunter started, trailing off for a moment. "...yes sir." Hunter nodded.

"...See you at HQ." Updike said, leaving swiftly. Hunter nodded, heading back inside.

"Well, well~!" A voice chuckled. "Lookit that~! Ya screwed up again~!" 

"Shut up." Hunter grumbled.

"Looks like you've been putting on a bit of weight, too~! One bad thing leading to the next~"

"SHOVE IT." Hunter growled.