Progress?

Who am I?

What is my purpose?

How long will it take me to meet that purpose?

I let out a shaky breath before taking another breath in. I must focus. My heart began to go back to a steady pace and I allow myself to venture through the depths of my mind. Whenever I found an unsettling thought or memory, I acknowledged it before moving on to the next.

Meditation had always been a hard thing for me, my brain always seemed to be going a mile a minute. Picking apart each detail of myself, finding things I didn't have anymore but longed for—causing more issues for myself than anything—just out of grasp, wishing more than anything that peace and comfort will find each person—those who are impoverished, those who are suffering from the war, those who are rich, and even those who are under the false impression that the Fire Nation is superior.

Being that we were all people with our own thoughts and feelings, it filled my heart with much sorrow that we couldn't all get along.

We all must live in harmony.

We all must understand and accept one another.

My eyebrows furrowed together.. wishing with all I had that my dreams would come true.
They have to. How could they not?

The Avatar is alive and well, and he's working so hard to begin mastering the other elements. My faith in Aang is incredibly strong but he still has much to learn.

But how long can the world wait?

Clenching my eyes even more tightly together, I know that this war has taken so much from everyone. There was a lot of pain..so how could it just be erased with the snap of the fingers?

My body couldn't take the emotional turmoil any longer, and I knew I couldn't sit around waiting for the state of the world to be taken care of for me.

I'm here, I'm alive, and I have a mission to fulfill.

Let's do this. With that, my eyes sprang open and I immediately jumped into action—not without some gruesome discomfort coming from my side, but I quickly put that on hold. There's much to do.

***

Walking down the long metal corridors and onto the deck, I couldn't help but get a bit nervous. What if the prince is already in bed? I mean, it was dark. Everyone else seemed to have retired to their chambers early. Plus, even if I did get the chance to speak with him, what would I even say? As far as I was aware, I didn't necessarily have a game plan.

This prince character was going to be a tough egg to crack.. and yet, I still found myself stopping in my tracks when I saw him.

He stood at the railing, looking into the sky. His dark hair flowed with the cool night breeze. He'd changed from his usual plated armor, into something easier to move in: a short sleeved red shirt, with gold detailing as the threading and he wore the same colored pants. My gaze trailed down from his head to his well toned arms. Someone his age shouldn't have to be involved in such grueling training.

Taking a deep breath, I finally place one foot in front of the other, making my way towards Zuko.

"You know, someone of your status needs to make sure they get their rest."

The prince whips around and I offered a soft smile in return. "Who gave you permission to speak with me?" His question was filled with an unkind meaning, yet his voice betrayed how defeated and worn out he was.

I stepped closer, looking up to the sky, as he'd been doing. "May I ask you a question, prince Zuko?"

"No." Came the response I'd been expecting.

Yet, I continued anyways—letting out a small giggle as I did so, "spirits, I didn't realize you had such a great sense of humor." He just stared blankly at me, like he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Anyways, I was wondering why didn't you bother to refuse me? When your uncle saved me, I mean. I know you don't like me, and I can't blame you. So why didn't you throw me overboard?"

Zuko looked down, and I noticed him looking towards my side and then glancing towards my previously burned feet. It was so quick, I almost missed it. "That's more than one question." Came the gruff response. I couldn't help the way my face noticeably brightened.

There is hope.

"I see. Well thank you, prince. I'm indebted to you." Clasping my hands together I glance towards the water.

"Whatever."

"Can I ask you another question?"

"You just did." Annoyance dripped from his voice, but I continued anyways without turning away from the dark waves.

"My uncle Gui used to tell me about my great grandfather and the friends he'd made in other nations. Including the Fire Nation. Would you ever consider being friends with someone who isn't from your own?"

"I don't have friends."

I glance over in surprise at the boy next to me, his gaze avoiding mine. "I'm sure that's not true. You're the prince, for crying out loud!"

"What do you know? You wouldn't understand what it's like being banished from your own nation." He grumbled, anger taking over again and I didn't say anything for a short moment; taking in his words.

"You're right. I don't understand. I never had a nation to belong to." I didn't sound angry, I didn't even sound sad—I was only speaking the truth.

My people wouldn't ever be an easy topic for me. I felt so far away from them. I was an outsider. I would never fully understand what it means to be an air nomad. I'd hoped that traveling with Aang would be what made me one, but I don't think I would've ever gotten to a point where I felt like I belonged.

Breaking myself from my thoughts, I glance over at Zuko to see him staring back at me. It was clear he wasn't sure what to say. I clear my throat with a small cough before letting out a laugh, "sorry. I didn't mean to dampen the mood," apologies were something I seemed to do pretty often.

Taking another step towards the prince, I offer him another toothy smile as I prepared myself to bounce back to the previous discussion. "How about we become friends?"

His amber eyes were wide, clearly put off by my request. It made sense, but it didn't make me flinch in the slightest. I knew I had to get over whatever negative feelings I held for the prince if I were to remain on his ship. It wasn't like I 'hated' him, I just didn't have a lot of faith that I would be the person to sway him towards good. But alas, here I am, and I honestly wasn't too bad at prying. "Well?"

"N-no thanks. Why would I ever want to be friends with you?" He scoffed, though I didn't miss his stutter or the light rose color that graced his cheeks.

"Whatever you say," I shrug, knowing I'd be able to try again tomorrow. "Goodnight Prince Zuko." I bow, before turning on my heel and starting to walk away. Before reaching the door I turned around with one last thing to keep him thinking, "Prince Zuko, that offer will continue to stand." I saw his shoulders tense and he whirled around—but before he could get a word out I threw up a hand in farewell and turned away again. "Make sure to get some sleep."

***
A/N: Hi friends!! I'm here! Late post but I'm here!

I'm sorry it took the whole day for me to get this published. I've had a crazy workday. Like, really crazy. Like, the cops showed up crazy. Everything's ok, but we had to ban a couple of people. It was a whole thing.

Anyways, I really hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was a bit serious and I didn't like that but I think I have a good excuse for my poor writing for the day.

Let me know of any suggestions you may have!

Thank you so much for reading. Also, I hope everyone's kicking off the new year right.

Xoxo, Mir

Published:1/5/22