Atrocious Sideburns Man

The first sense to return is feeling. The feel of cold metal cutting into my wrists and ankles. The feel of the sheet of metal I lean against. The headgear covering my entire face, digging into the cuts and bruises that are sure to be there.

Next, my hearing returns. The scrape of shoes. The sound of waves hitting the ship, letting me know I'm still at sea.

Then my smell returns. The tang of my own blood fills my nostrils, as well as burnt flesh. The smell of the salty waves are still able to reach me, wherever I am.

And my sight returns. My eyes peek through the little cutouts in the mask and I see that I'm in a bare bones room, with only the Fire insignia and me in it. The very uncomfortable bed is positioned almost completely upright. A single light hangs from the ceiling and a door leading to the rest of the ship sits in front of me.

My bending doesn't return. I thrash around, the realization enough to make me panic. I feel so...empty. A pounding headache takes form in response.  I try everything to create some air, despite being restrained.

Deep breath Liena.. I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for this. I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, slowly and deeply.

"Well, look who's awake." My eyes snap to an important looking man, with atrocious gray sideburns. His amber eyes glare at me, not a single ounce of warmth or kindness in them. He doesn't necessarily look angry, like Zuko usually is, but his eyes are full of an emotion I can't quite place. All I know is this man is bad news, and full of ill intent.

My throat is scratchy from not talking for who knows how long. "Who are you?" I ask, my voice weak.

"I'll be asking the questions, darling." The nickname makes my stomach drop...and not in a good way. "Tell me, why were you on Prince Zuko's ship?"

A knot builds in my chest. "I was a prisoner." I look down.

"Ah. And what are your crimes exactly?" The man circles around me.

"You tell me." I say with a raised brow.

He stops at my left side, leaning close, but I continue to stare straight ahead. His breathing fans my face, as he grabs a piece of my hair, twirling it on his finger, "You have such interesting hair. I don't believe I've seen anyone with this color before. It definitely catches some attention...and makes it easy to identify you."

"If you have some guesses as to who I am, just say them." I say nervously, trying my best not to squirm.

"One of my soldiers mentioned seeing an intruder with sandy blonde hair aiding in the escape of the Avatar." My heart sinks.

"And you think it's me?" I snort, trying to play it cool.

"Not only do I think it's you, but I believe the prince was involved as well." I can practically hear the smile in his voice.

"Oh, yeah, that was totally us. The prince of the Fire Nation was totally my accomplice in freeing the Avatar." I roll my eyes. "You're delusional. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? I'm sorry to say that I was not involved in said crime, as I'd been rotting away in that cell for months, maybe even years," I lie.

He stays uncomfortably quiet for a while, before tilting my head up with a finger. "Not that it matters, anymore. The prince has been dealt with. And it's not like a little thing like you can stand in my way. The Fire Lord will be pleased to have a pretty young woman to tend to him." I squirm this time, as his voice drops to a creepy and sensual whisper, "but until then, I'll just have to enjoy you for myself."

I try to lean away, my heart racing and fear filling me—but just then, a soldier's voice calls from the hallway. "Admiral Zhao, we will be reaching Northern Water Tribe shores later today, sir. How shall we proceed?"

The admiral grunts in frustration at being interrupted, before releasing my chin. "Don't worry, I'll be returning shortly." He stands, and to my relief, he leaves me alone in the cold and dark room.

I release a long breath.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N: hi everyone! Happy New Year!!!

Another short chapter but I really just wanted to get one out for you guys. We needed a filler chapter before the big ending. We got two more chapters of Book 1 to go!! Woot!

I hope everyone has an amazing 2023!

See ya next time.

Xoxo,
Mir

Published: 1/2/23