The Storm

My fingers tap rhythmically on the oak table as Zuko paces back and forth.

"They should be thrown overboard for what they've done." His hand rubs his chin and steam came from his other fist.

"It's best to lock them up at the next port we stop at," Iroh reasons, making me nod in agreement.

"How could you defend them?" The prince whirls on his uncle, almost spitting in his face.

I get between the two and lightly push Zuko away. "You are the prince, you should show restraint where you can. I'm the one who got hurt, and I'm okay with them being on board a little while longer." I see the look on his face morphing into one of consideration. "Besides, as we already know, I heal rather quickly. The injury was very mild, as compared to previous."

Zuko looks away from me with an unreadable expression on his face.

"She has a point. There wasn't too much harm done, and if you were to react openly on this it may get back to the Fire Lord—who might question why you feel so tenderly." Iroh masks the last word with a small cough. 

"Don't be ridiculous, uncle. I could never-" when his eyes glance at me, he stops before letting out a dramatic huff and storming away.

"My nephew is confused. Don't give up on him just yet. He's changed since you've arrived."

"Yeah, I suppose." I pause, biting the inside of my cheek, "hey Iroh?"

"Yes?" His gray eyebrow raises.

"Do you think Zuko trusts me?" My hands clutch each other.

"I don't know if he really trusts anyone. Though, it's as I said, he's grown fond of you. I can tell. As long as you keep pushing, he'll let you in eventually." Iroh's hand rests on my shoulder, comfortingly.

His words eases my mind a bit. How much time do I have?

Besides that, the events of last night left a heavy feeling in my chest. Is it possible that some people can just be bad? All my life I've searched and found the good in every person I've met. I can't accept that there are bad people. Everyone has a reason for their actions.

I feel the back of my head, with a frown on my face. Could I have done anything different to prevent this? I squeeze my temple as a headache starts to come on.

Shaking my head, I allow myself to come back to the present. "Lotus tile for your thoughts?" Iroh asks.

I smile up at him, "thank you, but I should be okay."

He looks at me for a moment before looking into the distance. "The world is a mysterious place. It's full of flora and fauna. Full of people of all backgrounds. It's full of creatures who feel sadness and happiness. Who see the beauty and the ugly. Who experience life and death. Not one person is expected to solve every issue on their own. And not one person needs to carry the weight of the world on their shoulders."

He offers me a small smile and I give a brighter one back.

***
I skip down the hall away from my bedroom, letting air out of my feet so I can jump higher with each step. I strum my fiddle, happy to finally have it in my possession again.

I swing open the door onto the deck and feel the light breeze tangle in my bedhead, that's so messy it's gotten curly.

"Good morning everybody!" I exclaim cheerfully, my smile reaching my eyes as I continue the folk music.

"Good morning Ms." Some crew mates call.

"Hey Liena," Niko waves from where he's mopping.

"How are you today?" The lieutenant asks with a friendly smile.