Chapter 17: The Kind of Trouble You Are In

This guy? I guess I should've expected this. Instinct snarls to herself as she dodges his furious punch. She struggles with him, trying to get an advantage. Eyeing the water, she tries to manuver herself towards it and safety, but EX80A simply intercepts her.

"Not this time, fishy. I'm afraid your time has evaporated!" He throws another punch at her head, but she grabs his thick arm and scowls.

"Not if I extinguish you first!" She retorts, and tosses him into the group of soldiers who have gone after Miranda.

"Thanks!" Miranda yells from the field, while Instinct is continuely pushed back by EX80A. Eventually, they are both pushed back to back.

"Well, this is bad!" Miranda snarls.

"I'd punch you, but I have a feeling that won't help my situation. Got any ideas?"

Miranda shoots at a smirking EX80A, which doesn't affect him at all.

However, this gives Instinct a rather sinister idea.

"Hey EX80A, you seem rather bulletproof... but I don't think your eyes are!!" She fires her pistols directly into his eyesockets, a direct hit to both eyes.

"ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!" He roars. Fire rages out of control from him, his control of the fires lost. "I'll get you for this, you will not get away!!!"

He breathes fire, and Instinct ducks and rolls underneath, and bolts for the lake, even as bullets fly at her. She dives in, just as a bullet is about to strike her head, leaving Miranda alone with the soldiers, and a blind EX80A.

"Damn it all! Just shoot the FBI agent and let's go!"

Damn, she took her chance and got away... but why is she trying to go by the lake instead of on land? In anycase, I think I'm screwed!

The soldiers close in, preparing to fire point blank.

The Director watches from a visor feed on his computer.

"Stand down." He says sullenly.

"...What?!" The leader of the squad barks in frusteration.

"I said stand down. Search for EX0L8. Knock the agent out at the very least, and send her off to L.A. I want to make sure that she doesn't interfere."

"...Yes sir."

The leader of the troops moves quickly to cover the distance between Miranda and himself. He punches her hard over the head, knocking her out instantly.

"You'd best be greatful. The Director is a better man than you scum." He lifts her over his shoulder.

"Men! Continue without me, I'll take care of her and her freinds."

His radio cracks. "Yes sir?" He asks.

"What about EX80A?" He asks coldly.

"His eyes were shot out."

"Leave him there, he's failed me for the last time."

EX80A stumbles around helplessly, then falls on his face on the ground.

"Father... I'm sorry... I'm so sorry..." He chokes out in a husky, weakening voice, and then falls unconcious.