Chapter 30: Final Road (Finale)

...Sara? Instinct calls out to Sara, as waves crash at the seashore beside them.

What? She says bitterly.

...I'm sorry.

...It's not important anymore. If we can't find Racheal, we can't find her. the Director knows we're going to Florida, we need to disappear.

Right...

They stare off at the Texan countryside behind them, breathing in the last air from the land they will breath for a while.

It's time... now that we're here, at the Gulf of Mexico, the Director will not be able to find us. Once we find Matthew, we'll take him with us, get our freinds back... and then...

She closes her eyes.

The Director will pay.

With that thought, Sara runs into the water, and as her change starts, dives into the pristine water and swims deep into the sea. She begins to travel at a depth that would make it impossible for the Director to track her down, far out of his reach.

She swims along with the fish, sharks, and the rest of the beings of the ocean. She breathes in deeply, entering a trance-like state as she heads east to Florida, to home, and to Matthew.

The Director sniffs the air, concerned.

"She was just around here."

His two accompanying assistance look at him.

"What makes you say that?" The short black haired assistant asks him impassively.

"Because I can smell her scent. Let's move. The other one will be arriving in town soon. Let's move."

The two assistants look at one another, concerned.

The Director declines any transportation, taking his time. His vision blurs, and he blinks furiously.

Damn sight. I should have been more careful with the Tracker modification. I'm not losing sight... I'm losing my sense of color...

But it has its benifets.

He can smell that other girl, the one that EX0L8 had infected. She would be arriving soon by train, and he had the advantage of time.

He reaches the town's train station, and waits paitently, a confident smile on his face.

"Checkmate."

Racheal wakes up from her afternoon nap, feeling refreshed. The town's outline is fastly growing larger, soon she will meet up with Sara and head with her to Florida. The sky is a brilliant blue, but a storm is fast approaching. Thunder rumbles and lightning flashes on its edge. It would strike before the train would arrive, just before she would get off.

She observes the trees that blow in the wind of rural houses, the wind picks up, whipping up small squalls of dust. Soon the rain falls, first little taps, and then slowly growing into a loud endless droning roar. It soon grows very dark, the only light comes from the lightning which lets loose on the earth, as if violent spirits were waging war.

The train slows, and finally stops. A low wave of sound eases through the train, people start to talk amongst themselves, getting ready to get off.

Racheal only takes her purse, with all of her information inside. Dispite her confidince, she feels uneasy about the storm, and getting wet.

If I get wet, I'll transform...

She slowly walks out and into the cab isle, to the train's exit. She takes a deep breath and steps out, under an umbrella, held by...