Chapter 20: Midnight Hunt

Crash! With a great clash, the special ops units break into the house swiftly as possible. They rush through the house, and race up the stairs to Racheal's room, and immediatly gas her. Gunther scans her unconcious body, and it makes a distinct chirp noise.

"This is the person infected. We take her to the Director. Quickly! See if you can find EX0L8!"

His men search the house, but she is gone.

"She's nowhere to be found!" A soldier yells.

Gunther snarls. "We were too slow. Look to see where she got out!"

After a few minutes, they notice a back window shattered, not by them, but most likely EX0L8.

"Damn! That girl is fast!" A soldier yells out.

Gunther sighs. "In anycase, we need to take her to the Director right now."

They pick her up, and put her in a black sedan, while from a dark alley, Sara watches in pain, unable to help.

"I'm so sorry..." She starts to cry bitterly, knowing her new freind was most likely about to share her fate.

It's all my fault...

A couple of hours later, Racheal wakes up in a white room, with a man wearing a surgeon's mask standing over her.

"Wha...? What's happening?"

"Shhh.... calm down. You came in contact with a virus that was potentially lethal. Fortunatly, all our scans indicate that it isn't there, even though your body is still producing the chemical by-product of the virus, which is strange. It's really curious." The man's voice is deep but assuring, strangely calming in fact.

"So, am I ok?" Racheal asks.

"...Yes. By the way, have you seen this girl?" He holds up a photo, and Racheal reconizes her immediatly. It's Sara. A twinge of guilt burns through her heart, but she is not sure she can come to tell him. For somereason, he doesn't seem trustworthy.

"N-no, no I haven't. I'm sorry, do you know her?"

"Yes. She's a relative who went missing, I just want to make sure she gets home."

Still not believing him, she says nothing.

"Alright, close your eyes, and we'll take you home."

Once they apply the gas to make her sleep again for the trip, the Director sighs.

"I can't understand. Why hasn't she changed into a Mermaid? We've detected the chemical part of the infection, but why hasn't it activated fully? But why?"

Could EX0L8 be defective after all? After seventy years of work? No... something's missing... but what?

Racheal wakes up in her bed, and immediatly starts looking for Sara, concerned for her safety. She looks at the couch and sees a note, which she picks up. She starts to read:

'I'm sorry for all of the trouble, Racheal. I can't tell you what's going on, it's not safe. I won't blame you if you tell them about me.

I'm so sorry.

-Sara'

Well, I'm going to take take a shower, and then I am going to go look for her, she could need help.