Maybe...

"I didn't think you would call me back, Marcus." Ruby sounded weak to Marcus, who heaved a sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose while he had the phone pressed to his ear. What option did he have? He has been avoiding Ruby's calls for a few days now, but when Aunt Monica, Ruby's sister, reached out to Marcus – asking him to talk to his mother, he couldn't delay it any longer. So, here he was – talking to her. Only because Monica asked him to.

Marcus doesn't despite Monica – she has always been somewhat nice to him. Where she never did anything to stop her sister from making his life a living hell – Marcus isn't even sure if she knew, they were never very close. She didn't encourage her either and also sympathized with Marcus. This always put him in a jumble – he doesn't know if he likes her or not. Monica has always been more close to Silas and Elizabeth than Marcus so, maybe he just doesn't know her enough to form an opinion about her. He respects her, therefore he did what she politely asked him to do.

Marcus loosens his tie around his neck, "How are you?" Marcus asked her stiffly. Even when he knows that she is thousands of miles away from him, even when he knows that the truth about her has been out to everyone – he still feels nervous to talk to her. Maybe there will always be an eerie feeling in his guts when it comes to Ruby.

Ruby sighed, "Alive," She mumbled meekly. Marcus is aware of Ruby's deteriorating mental and physical health. Being away from her children, Silas and Elizabeth doesn't help her either. Even when he knows that there are reasons that she can be sick or weak, he doesn't completely trust her. Ruby has always been a manipulative and false figure in his life. It is hard to believe her in any sort when all she ever did was lie and hurt the people she didn't think deserved to be around her. "How are you?" She asked him after a small pause.

"Okay." He instantly replied. He doesn't give her details about his life. He learned to do so when she started to deliberately ruin every happiness of his life. He has been trying to keep as much as he could as a secret from her – which wasn't much, but he always tried to hide any bliss of his life from her so that she wouldn't snatch it from him – like she always did of the ones she knew about.

"I am glad." She replied. "I have heard you found yourself a girlfriend. Elizabeth mentioned she is Maria's best friend –" she paused. Marcus closed his eyes tightly and waited for hate and evil spew of her mouth – that's what she does, she uses her sweet and calm voice to rip a person into pieces – that's her weapon. "Pardon me, but what was her name? Charlotte?" She asked.

Marcus flared his nostrils and stiffly mumbled a soft "Yes." He was sure that she was going to say something nasty about her next, he doesn't know if he will be able to tolerate it. When it comes to Charlotte, Kathie, or Susan – he doesn't tolerate any abuse. He doesn't mind if she rips into her – he is used to her abuse, but he will not accept the faith for the people he loves. "Ah, I remember her. She used to be by Maria's side all the time." She commented. Marcus curled his hands into tight fists. "I hope you are happy, Marcus. I hope you are finally happy, my son." Much to Marcus's surprise, she wished him well and for some reason it didn't sit well for him.

Marcus gulped as he opened his eyes – it twitched. He clenched his jaws together. She doesn't have any right to wish him well after everything she put him through.

"Don't say that," His voice was low, but his words came out sternly. Marcus heard Ruby trying to speak ut he didn't let her, "I don't want you to wish me anything. Just tell me what you want?" He snapped. He wasn't going to count her wrongs to her – she knows what she has done. He wants to keep a distance and have minimum conversations with her.

Ruby heaved a sigh, "I – just – I wanted to talk to my son," She spoke meekly.

Marcus rolled his eyes, "Oh, bullshit." He mumbled. "I am going to ask you the last time, mom. What do you want from me?" He pressed.