Five

A/N: Well, this is the last chapter of the first arc of Excidium Troiae. With Paris in the story and Selene introduced, I think it's about time we brought in everybody's second-favourite Greek in these kinds of stories (after Perseus, of course). Let us welcome Achilles and the Achaeans. A lot goes down in this chapter and I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. Thanks for giving this story a chance.

-TripleHomicide.

PARIS looked around him in awe and astonishment. If he had been told four months ago that he would be living the life of a prince soon he would never have believed it. But here he was, an actual son of King Priam, living the life he was born for.

He had found out the exact prophecy which had caused him to be sent away and although it had troubled him for quite a while, he was past it now. He had fallen in love with the city and he would never do anything to bring about its destruction like the Prophecy had said.

He pursed his lips. If he had not granted the god Ares that laurel wreath in the bull competition, he would never have drawn the attention of the gods of Olympus. He wouldn't have been asked to judge the three goddesses and grant one of them the apple. He wouldn't have been taken back to Troy by his brother-in-law, Aeneas. In short, he wouldn't have been a prince.

And Oenone would not have left him.

A deep scowl marred his features as he thought back to the argument he had had with the river nymph a few days after his reinstatement as a prince. He had gone back to his old home to inform his father—the man who had raised him—and had encountered his lover once more.

But Oenone did not matter, because he would be getting married to the most beautiful woman on earth, Helen of Troy. Paris knew she was married to the King of Sparta—that was why he was on this expedition in the first place. Aphrodite had made him a promise and he knew she would not go back on her word.

Paris glanced around him, pulling himself out of his thoughts. The ship was sailing on smoothly, the waters gentle—Poseidon was in a good mood, then. Paris caught sight of Perseus, his brother Hector and the Polemarchos, Alexandros, exiting a room close to the captain's chambers.

The three were deep in conversation and Paris saw them glance once or twice in his direction. Paris and his two brothers Hector and Deiphobus had been sent on a diplomatic mission to Sparta, on the order of King Priam to make friendly ties with the Graeceans. Hector was there to learn how to lead delegations, as he was going to be doing so when he was King, and Alexandros was there to guide him. Perseus had accompanied both men, along with a squadron of about twenty or thirty soldiers, including Paris himself and Deiphobus, whom Priam had ordered to go along. Paris had a sneaking suspicion that Alexandros and his father were grooming Perseus to succeed the Polemarchos, just as Hector would take over from King Priam.

He did not doubt that all this was the work of Aphrodite—sending him to the Greek polis so he would be able to see his intended. He smiled to himself, turning back to look over the edge of the ship and into the still waters.

-X-

PERSEUS scowled at the water as he continued, ruminating over his thoughts. It was the first time since his mother had died that he had been at sea. He couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible would happen on this journey.

Sure, he loved the water. But he hated its master. He just hoped Poseidon would not notice his presence and aura for as long as he continued to be on the ship. He hadn't wanted to go on this journey, but his devotion and loyalty to Hector and the Head General had made him do so.

And the words of Cassandra four nights prior had solidified his decision to go along.

They had been travelling for almost four days, on their way to Sparta on the order of the King. He and Hector had spent most of their time together, training and discussing the methods he would use once he offered the gifts of gold and a treaty.