Twelve

A/N: Well, here is chapter twelve of Excidium Troiae. I hope you enjoy it. It will be short. And now, we are nearing the end of the events of the Cypria.

HE SAT UP with a small start of surprise at the large explosion which rocked the walls of the palace. Beside him, Briseis stirred, and then sat up when another blast resounded across the city. Perseus swore, pulling himself out of bed. Panic filled him as screams tore through the air. There was smoke filling the atmosphere, and he could see several fires starting. Muttering to himself, he raced to the balcony of the Princess' window, and then let out a cry of surprise.

It was dawn, and there were several screaming people below them, in the streets. But what was horrifying was the number of soldiers swarming into the city, through a break in the city walls—the Achaeans had blasted it to bits, and their soldiers were coming in droves. He swore once again, eyes widening. How had he slept through all this? He cursed, then said to the princess, "Get to your family! The walls have been breached." There was worry on her face, but she nodded and hurriedly threw some clothes on, before dashing out of her chambers.

Perseus could hear the screams getting louder, and the cries of pain and fear coming from below him. Another blast sounded throughout the city, and he cursed, hurriedly placing on his breastplate. His hands were fumbling, and after several failed attempts, he gave up and threw ona simple tunic instead. How had he gotten so distracted? Why hadn't he expected this? He quickly placed on his vambraces, and grabbed his sword from the ground. He raced back to the window, and glanced downwards.

He could see Achilles, making his way towards the palace, a grin on his face. He was flanked by Ajax and Palamedes, and they slaughtered anyone and anything that came in their way. He spotted several Trojans and people of Lyrnessus, trying to put up a resistance, but the Greek soldiers were quick, precise and ruthless, cutting down anyone they saw—women, children, and soldiers alike.

"Someone find General Perseus!" He heard a loud voice ring out and he cursed once more, running a hand through his hair in frustration. The son of Anchises spun on his heel, and raced out through the open doors. His heart pounded and anxiety flooded him as he raced through corridors and passages. The palace hadn't been breached yet, but it was only a matter of time. As he ran, he saw several people—servants, soldiers, even a few slaves, bustling around, screaming in panic, or generally running. The chaos was intimidating, and he forced his feet to move faster.

After what seemed like hours but was only minutes, he finally burst through the main gates, and took in the disaster that had struck the city.

There was rubble and debris spread out all around him. Broken and bloodied bodies were strewn on the ground, and blood was flowing on the ground, interlocking and snaking towards the city gates. Soldiers fought soldiers, Achaeans against Trojans and Lyrnessians. There were several large holes in the city wall, and the gates had been ripped open. It looked as though a giant had stepped on the walls and taken out a chunk of the city, although he knew it was just the work of an onager or catapult. He snarled, fury filling him. The Greeks hadn't waited for the sun to even come up. The sky was still orange, and just half of Apollo's chariot was visible. He swung his sword, and leaped into action.

Perseus slashed his sword at the nearest enemy soldier, lopping his head clean off. Adrenaline pumped through his veins and with a roar he charged, slamming into another man. The man went stumbling, and with a growl he spun, slicing through his breastplate. Another man charged at him, and he ducked under his swing, slamming his elbow into his opponent's face. Perseus rose quickly, and ran him through.

He glanced around him. At his appearance, the fight was continuing in earnest—although many of the soldiers on their side had fallen, several more Achaeans were being killed, and he grinned at that. There was still hope. He dashed forward, cutting through the chest of a man. He sidestepped a thrust from another and slashed at him, cutting off his shoulder. Without hesitation, he drove his weapon through him. Perseus parried a block from a sword and pushed the attacker back, spinning on his heel to avoid a spear. He grabbed it out of the ground, and hurled it back where it came from.