Thirteen

A/N: Hello. So, this is the thirteenth chapter of Perseus: Excidium Troiae. Enjoy.

HECTOR stood next to the Gates of Troy, hands behind his back in anticipation. He had been waiting, for days, for the arrival of his two best friends and his brothers, along with all their allies who had survived the raids of Achilles on their lands. Most of them were already in Troy, but a few were yet to come. He knew they would be there soon. He could see the Greek camp from where he stood, but he could not see what was going on inside it. Their wall was huge—they had been building for ten years, and now their encampment was enclosed and out of view. He sighed to himself. It had been hectic in Troy since his arrival from his father-in-law's land a week ago.

The Achaeans had returned, all of them reunited in the same spot once more, after nine years. Hector knew that one way or another, things were coming to an end. Sooner or later, one of them would fall. But he would do whatever he could—would give up his life—so Troy could go on. He heard the horses then, and looked up. Relief filled him when he spotted the steeds racing towards the city gates. Seated on them were Perseus, and his brother Deiphobus. It had been so long since he had seen either of them, and he found a smile lighting up his features.

Behind them came men, most of them in armour, but a few, about a hundred, wore normal clothes of commoners. "Let them through," He motioned to the guards behind him. The city gates swung inwards, and Deiphobus charged through, followed by the soldiers and civilians coming in after him. Hector saw Perseus stop his horse opposite him, waiting for all the people to make their way into the city. Troy was the safest place in the entire region now, although no one knew how long that would remain so. His eyes travelled to his best friend as the gates swung shut.

Perseus looked bad. There were bags under his eyes, which told Hector that he had not been sleeping much. He knew the man did not need it now, but rest was important when fighting in a war. He waited for the horse to draw to a stop next to him and Perseus hopped down, sending him a tired smile.

"It's good to see you again," Hector spoke, moving forward. He wrapped his arms around Perseus, and the green eyed man returned his hug earnestly.

"Is Aeneas here yet?" His friend queried, pulling away.

Hector shook his head. The curly haired son of Aphrodite would arrive soon. Hector just hoped he came in time for the battle that was coming.

"Let's go in, then," Hector motioned towards the city. "You look like you haven't slept in days. The Greeks are still preparing, and you need rest."

"I'm fine, Hec," Perseus rolled his eyes at him. "I don't need to sleep now. You remember that, don't you?"

"Of course I do," He snorted. "But you still look as though you could drop dead at any moment. Immortal or not." The son of Anchises opened his mouth to argue, but Hector cut him off, glaring at him sternly. "I'm not taking no for an answer, you stubborn arse. Let's go. I order it"

A glare spread on Perseus' face, and he nodded, conceding defeating. "Fine, fine. Whatever you say, Your Highness."

Hector scoffed, and grabbed on to Perseus' hands. He pulled him towards the gates, a smile on both their faces.

-X-

AENEAS sat next to his brother and Hector in his chambers at Troy. It was dark out, and he had just arrived at the city a few hours prior. He had been travelling for a while, and he knew he should be resting in preparation for the next day's events, but he would never pass up an opportunity to be with Hector and Perseus.

"And then I kissed her," Perseus was saying. His eyes were wide, as though he himself couldn't believe the words he was saying. There was shock on his features, and Aeneas knew that the same expression was on his face. Hector looked unsurprised.