Eight

A/N: Hello, this is chapter eight. Enjoy. If you haven't, check out the Hunters of the Sun, and The Guardians, and The Dissonant Notes of Fate. As usual, I hope you have a great read.

PERSEUS strapped his shield to his arm, inhaling deeply. He couldn't afford to be afraid. He couldn't baulk. Not now. Not when the Greeks were steadily approaching the Beach. The ships had been spotted on the horizon about an hour ago, and since then the city had been a flurry of activity, shouts and preparations for war.

He hadn't even gotten the time to speak with Hector or wish Aeneas good-luck when the order had come that the Generals were to prepare their troops and meet at the beach. As a recently promoted Stratigos, he was part of these Generals, and it had taken him just about fifteen minutes to make sure all the three-thousand men in his battalion were ready. And then he had retreated into his own barracks to fetch his armour—armour Apollo had had crafted for him. It was beautiful. Intricate. It was made of celestial bronze, like the god had explained, but it wasn't heavy as he'd expected. Moving around in it was quite easy and it came with a golden shield and a spear long enough to pierce through four men at once. His sword hung at his side, and he had strapped his helmet to his waist also.

He was placing his hands into the vambraces when he felt her presence.

Selene manifested from the shadows and air, a dull silver glow announcing her presence. As usual, she looked ethereal and majestic, dark hair cascading down her shoulders, bright eyes full of wisdom and beauty. He inclined his head in greeting at her arrival, and then smiled hesitantly. "Selene. I didn't expect to see you here."

"Well, I heard something about a war," She shrugged. "Why, did you not wish me to be here?"

He shook his head. "Oh, it's nothing like that. Seeing you is a surprise, but a welcome one."

She nodded, eyes lighting up with amusement. And then she tilted her head to the side. "Make sure to stay safe out there."

He frowned. "It's war, Lady Selene. I can't make any promises. And besides, no mere soldier can best me in battle. I've been trained by gods."

She rolled her eyes. "I have no doubt that many of the men on the Greek side shall run at the sight of you. But you're still going to have to fight against renowned heroes—like Diomedes, and Odysseus and—"

"Achilles," He finished for her. "I've fought him off before. Even though he has impenetrable skin, he can still be beaten. I just need to find out how to do that."

"And you will," She nodded. The Titaness smiled. "Good luck, Perseus. And may the gods be with you." Without waiting for him to answer, she melted into a fine silver mist, and vanished from view.

-X-

HECTOR drummed his fingers against the shaft of his spear in anticipation. He stood at the head of the entire Trojan army. Thousands of men were behind him, each silent, each waiting in anticipation. The ships were almost at the beach. From their elevated spot on the hillside, Hector could see the men—kings and Commanders at the prows of their ships. Many were dressed in armour befitting gods, but what caught his sight was the fair haired man standing next to another who Hector recognised as Odysseus.

That was Achilles. Hector couldn't help but feel nervous. If what Perseus had said about this iron-skinned demigod was true, then it would be almost impossible to beat him. But Troy was depending on him, and he couldn't let his city down. His father had put all his faith in him, to lead their armies and that of their allies to success against Agamemnon and his forces. Hector stood next to the five Generals he himself had handpicked on the order of his father. Perseus stood next to him, hand resting on the sword at his side. He looked calm enough, but his eyes betrayed his expectancy and slight nervousness.