Ten

A/N: So, there isn't much in history about the first nine years of war. Most of the sources choose to talk about the events of the Iliad, leading up to Achilles' death, and after it. But I find that just skipping forward ten years is a bit detrimental to the story I'm trying to build up. And so, using the vague information from the Cypria (first work of the Epic Cycle), I'm going to be recreating the events of the first nine years of war, in four chapters.

After chapter fourteen, the story in the Iliad will serve as Arc III of Excidium Troiae, in my own version, of course. While publishing these chapters of Arc II, I'm working on the next arc of The Guardians. Hunters of the Sun has to stay on hold for a little while longer, I'm afraid. Hopefully I can finish these arcs of these stories and publish my newest work—To Conquer the Darkness, before I have to leave for boarding school in April. Enjoy the chapter!

PS—If you haven't' please please check my profile on fanfiction . net, there's a poll I need answers to, and it closes tomorrow.

-TripleHomicide.

ACHILLES folded his arms as he listened to the news the scout had brought back. Patroclus was at his side, looking worried and a bit nervous. Achilles nodded to the soldier and waved his hand, telling him that he was dismissed. Finally, the Prince turned to his best friend and said, "I think we can attack now."

Patroclus nodded, although his worried glance did not fade. They had arrived in Dardania about two days ago, and since then he had been sending out scouts to check out the terrain. Aeneas and Perseus had somehow found out about the plan of the Greeks, and they had arrived in the city just a few hours before Achilles, in time for them to spread out thousands of Trojan and Dardanian soldiers around the city gates in anticipation for Achilles' arrival. He had been shocked to see the two brothers there when they had camped a distance away, but he knew now not to underestimate them.

They had friends in the right places—the gods—even more so than he, and since one was immortal and killing the other was forbidden by the council, they would be a formidable foe to contend with. But he wasn't one to run in the face of danger. He might not be able to kill them, but he would be taking Dardania. He had to show the other Greeks that his plan was a good one—failing at the first try would discourage them all, and they would be too scared to try to take the other cities around Ilios.

He sighed in frustration. Aeneas had retreated into his city to speak to the people, but Perseus was still keeping watch at the gates. He hadn't left his spot since they had arrived, and that worried Achilles.

It had been Patroclus who came up with the idea, and now, they were camped a few feet away from the farms surrounding Dardania—specifically where Aeneas' cattle were kept. "We steal the cattle now," Achilles nodded. "When Achilles and Perseus see me here, they shall come. And when they do, you attack the city with Phoenix." He saddled his horse, and jumped onto it. At that, the men he had selected assembled around him.

"Wait," The voice made him turn. He arched an eyebrow when he spotted Calchas, moving towards him from among the soldiers. The seer had insisted on coming with him, and so far he hadn't seen anything of importance. But maybe, now...

"What is it, Calchas?" Patroclus asked.

"I just had a vision," The prophet stopped in front of them. "There is a boy on the farm, a child, really, who has barely seen twelve summers. He is the youngest son of Priam and the brother of Aeneas' wife." Achilles frowned. How did that help them, exactly? "He takes care of the cattle and sheep when the cowherd Eurytion is not present. I saw, that if he is allowed to reach twenty summers, Troy shall never fall. He shall drive away our forces, and aid the immortal son of Anchises in killing you, Achilles." The son of Thetis paled, pursing his lips. "You must slay him."