chapter 26

[warnings: use of Mudblood, discriminations, mention of death, mention of punching.]

I wake up to the sound of footsteps rushing along the hallway, I ignore it and lay in bed for a while, thinking nothing of it. That is until the door to the room slams open, and a sudden weight is resting upon my stomach.

"I'M BACK!" it was Carter, and they were far from being quiet. I push them off me and roll over to face away from my loud and energetic friend. "Did you miss me? Who am I kidding? I know you missed me, I mean, if I was gone, I would miss me!" ok this was abnormal, they are confident and full of pride.

"One; yes, I did miss you. Two; who are you and what did you do to quiet and shy best friend Carter Evans?" I laughed, they giggled in return. Flopping onto my bed as their bags were brought back into the dorm.

"It was the greatest break ever! I went and skied with my family, and we even got to travel! Also, I got to cause some chaos. And that Chaos involved FIRE! FIRE Y/N! what is better than fire?" sometimes I forget that Carter likes to play with fire, it is why they got along with a certain Gryffindor student – Seamus Finnigan. I decided to annoy them and bring it up.

"Y'know you and Seamus must get along, pretty well considering you like fire and he likes explosion, I can see it now the love would be explosive" I laugh at my own stupid joke as Carter attempts to shrink as small as possible, clearly embarrassed. They try to respond but just open and close their mouth muttering nonsense. "Ok, don't hurt yourself trying to beat me, want to go get something to eat, isn't it around lunchtime?" with a way out of the conversation Carter agreed without hesitation, giving me a chance to get dressed before dragging me down to the Great Hall.

We talk about the things we failed to mention in our letters that we had sent all holidays. I didn't bring up Hermione needing help, in fact, I didn't bring up the three-headed dog currently in the school that is possible guarding the philosopher's stone. We talk for what seems like forever, until Hermione walks up to me, asking to speak. I excuse myself and walk with Hermione.

"Did you find anything?" she asks as soon as there is no chance anyone will hear us.

"I did, it could be the philosophers stone." I wait to see if she knows what it is, when she looks confused, I explain, "It's a stone that produces something called the Elixir of Life, it gives immortality, Nicolas Flamel made it and is friends with Dumbledore. So, it is possible that it's protecting that." Hermione looks at me impressed.

"Thank you, Y/N, that's really helpful, if possible, could you return the book today, and I will re-borrow it directly after you," I nodded and we said our goodbyes and I told her to ask if there was anything else she needed help with, then we went our separate ways.

I head to the Slytherin common room, when I enter, my eyes fall upon Draco and his minions. When they hear the portrait open, the minions' heads swing to see me. They begin to whisper, all sharing thoughts, except Draco. He subtly nods his head, as to say both hello and sorry. I give a slight smirk as I go to the dorm and get the book. This time I use a spell to carry it to the library, because the last time I carried it, it was way too heavy!

Upon entry, I noticed even though students had returned, there were very few people here. So, I was glad I had a chance to borrow books and begin to read in peace. I sat the heavy book in the returns pile, then I went to look for some books. I chose a book with spells, only so I could get ahead in charms class. I also chose a book about potions because it was an interesting subject to me. I started reading the books.

I was so involved in the book that I hadn't realised the group of people entering the library, regardless of how loud they were being. I only realised when I heard a fist slam onto my table. It was Pansy and a few other pure-blood Slytherins. I sigh and close my book.

"Can I help you?" I ask, not wanting to deal with them right now.

"We were just wondering how a half-blood, a mud-blood got into the perfect house of Salazar Slytherin," a few of the snickered at the comment Pansy made.

"Maybe because the housing system is based on off trait a person has, and not their blood status," I smirk, I knew it would get me in some form of trouble, but right now I don't care.

"Well, you will never be a true Slytherin. You are weak and small. You and the Evans. Maybe we should make you pay." One of them said, now I was mad. Don't talk bad about my friends.

"At least if we get somewhere, it's because we have talent, and not just because people paid for it!" I was going low now.

"Well, at least we have parents and aren't friends with a Mudblood!" I freeze. I hear giggles, I see smirks, it all blurs together, tears flood my eye, there is no sounds I can hear except them. I don't even hear the new person yell.