Part III

"How do you feel about leaving Caladan for Arrakis?" Paul asked her as they crossed the fields of their home the day after the ceremony.  The wind whipped around, rustling the world around them. Change was upon them. 

Lita considered before answering.  "Your father is quick to accept but I advise that we must exercise the finest of caution - I've done my research, I know that these people have been pushed around for a long time, far too long, that stirs discontent and anger. Our leadership will surely not change that."

Paul nodded in agreement.  He still seemed distant, distracted, maybe even more now. "Dad seems quite convinced that we can bring peace to the planet long ravaged by war."

"I know. He has good intensions, but taking action is much more difficult, especially on a planet like Arrakis."

"I don't want Duncan to go."

"We'll all miss Duncan's spirit."

"Except for Master Halleck."

At this, she chuckled.  "Yes."

"Is it as bad as he says? Arrakis? The Harkonnens?"

Again, she considered before answering. "I've only heard rumours, but I don't care to find out. All I know is that Gurney has had a history with them, a very dark history, one that he doesn't talk about, even with me."

"You're afraid of this mission, aren't you," Paul said, less like a question and more like an observance. 

"Deeply so."

"I am too, Aunt Lita."

"You know, this reminds me of when I went off to finishing school - only this time we won't be coming back home."

"We'll have a new home."

Her smile was slight and stiff.  "So it would seem." 

------------------------------------------

Duke Leto called Lita and Gurney for a meeting in his study, a meeting that sounded urgent. 

"Brother?" she asked when they arrived. 

He launched right into business. "Once we make the move to Arrakis, I promise you, you will be wed. No delays, you have my word. Unless of course you wish otherwise."

She breathed a sigh of relief, a breath she hadn't fully realized she had been holding.  "This is the cause of your urgent meeting?"

He smiled. "Very urgent." 

Now the couple in question exchanged a pleased and amused glance. 

"Our new home," Gurney said, reaching out to her.

That's what everyone kept saying.  She nodded in return and clasped his hand. "Ours."

(Work isn't as busy anymore now that the holidays are wrapping up, so I have some more time to write, yay!

Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))