Part VIII

"I think you're Fremen..."

"What?" she cried after a heavy beat of silence. Her voice sounded distant, hoarse, unfamiliar, not her own, even to herself and her own ears. 

"I think you're Fremen," he repeated, as if that cleared it up any just by repeating the same phrase over again.  

"What the hell makes you say that?" The dreams he had just told her about, yes, but there must be more evidence than that, especially if he was saying what he was, confessing this to her.

True, she looked nothing like the rest of her House relatives, they with their dark hair and pale skin, and she with her warm, tan olive skin and red hair. But eventually she stopped wondering about that. A distant ancestor had given her such traits, her father had told her. 

"And Stilgar said he recognized us both. That's what he whispered, in  his own language, before he left," Paul was babbling.  "And I think Dr. Kynes sensed something too."

"Paul, that makes no sense-"

"I know it's a lot to take in, especially all at once, but all the pieces are clicking together, especially after our arrival here, and it kind of makes sense-"

"That's enough, Paul." Her throat was suddenly dry as the desert outside these heavy walls. "That's enough! You will not utter this to another soul, do you hear me?" she snapped at him. She had never been so harsh with him before. 

He was shocked by her reaction too. He hung his head. "Yes Aunt Lita. I'm sorry."

After he had left her she sat alone in the medical wing, crumbling beneath the weight of his words. It makes no sense, it makes no sense... It's not true, it's not true...

Her brother came to visit her, providing a welcome distraction. 

"I believe I have a promise to fulfill: that of your wedding  to our Weapons Master."

"Yes, I'd rather that happen sooner rather than later."

"As soon as Dr. Yueh clears you from the medical wing."

"Then I shall be the very best patient, to speed up the process," she said, making them both chuckle. 

As she drifted off into rest, a memory surfaced, the day she had first met her love.

Some years previous, Leto, the new Weapons Master at his side, entered the Duke's study, discussing business as they went, only to find it already occupied. A young woman stood overlooking the maps and charts, wearing a long cloak that brushed the stone floor and a high-collared dress. 

"Lita," cried the Duke. 

She whirled around, grinning. "Hello, Brother."

"You're home, and early."

"Prime observation, Brother. Yes, at last I am home, at long last. Finishing school is behind me."

"Is that some resentment I hear?" His lips twitched up in a grin of his own. 

"Father's idea, not mine."

"They turned you into a proper young lady then?" he joked further. 

"They tried." She shrugged. "And I made sure they failed. Oh but how I missed the shores of Caladan!"

"And us."

"Eh. Only Paul." She shrugged jokingly, before he took her in his arms in a hug. When they pulled away, she eyed the stern man who had been standing next to her brother, back straight, chin held high, arms folded military-style behind his back.

"Gurney Halleck, my sister, Lady Lita Atreides," Leto introduced. 

He gave a low nod.  "My Lady."

"Master Halleck. I have heard of you. Welcome to House Atreides." She opened her arms again.  "Would you like a hug as well? I give very good hugs, just ask my brother."

Her suggestion seemed to startle him briefly out of his strict appearance, which she found absolutely charming.

Now, years later, engaged to that very man, she smiled warmly to herself as the memory resurfaced and replayed in her mind. And, for even a brief moment, she was able to forget Paul's shaking words. 

(You like the twist? ;) Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! The wedding will be next!)