Part IX

"Oh, sweet Lita, you look stunning," said Jessica.

"Thank you, Jess." She took in her reflection in the looking glass: flowing bejeweled robes, her dying ember hair adorned with an elaborate headpiece. A bride to be. 

"Oh it's been so long since we've had anything of the sort happen," said Jessica, and Lita knew, she just knew, that Jess was thinking of her own relationship with Leto. 

Paul would walk with her and Leto would perform the ceremony. Her nephew was waiting for her, wearing full military dress

They stood together outside the closed doors of the hall, strangely quiet, until Paul spoke.

"Aunt Lita, what I said before, while you were still recovering, I was out of line, please forgive me, and forget my words. They were spoken in haste and I shouldn't have said them."

She gave him a genuine smile.  Despite how his words had upset her, she was not mad at him.  "Thank you, Paul, but it's all right. Let's just forget it."

"Thank you, Aunt Lita." He smiled.  "Today you seem the most at ease since we arrived on Arrakis."

Her smile grew.  "As do you."

From within the hall, the piper began to play, their signal for entering the hall. Paul offered her his arm which she took and together they strode out into the full hall with full hearts.

Gurney and the other soldiers were in full military dress, as was her brother. Jess had chosen a remarkable scarlet dress for the occasion. 

She and Paul reached the others and with one last blast of the final note, the pipers fell silent. 

Now Leto addressed the hall. "Today is a very special day.  Today we honour and join the houses of Atreides and Halleck by joining the hands of Lady Lita Atreides and Master Gurney Halleck in marriage. It is my privilege to be leading this ceremony. Please join hands." The couple did so. 

He placed his own hand over their joined ones. "I name you, Lady Lita Atreides, and you, Master Gurney Halleck, as joined in marriage, as husband and wife. Congratulations."

There was applause from the crowd as she and Gurney embraced. It had happened, really, finally happened. 

They strode out into the crowd, arm-in-arm, accepting congratulations, and leading everyone to the dining hall for the celebratory feast and music. 

It was difficult to eat when everyone was coming to speak with her, but Lita downed a few bites before taking to the dance floor. She shared a dance with her husband, of course, and her brother. Then Leto and Jessica led a dance where she partnered with Paul. 

After swinging her around on the dance floor, both a little tipsy, Duncan presented her with a wedding gift. A long, ornately carved box.  "Congratulations, Lita." 

She opened the box and found within an ornately carved blade.  

"Fremen make."

This caused her whole body to tighten, but she smiled through it. "Thank you, Duncan."

It wasn't only his words that had made her think of Paul's words, but the fact now that she was Lady Lita of both House Atreides and House Halleck. Who was she? Where was she really from? 

"Let's have a song, old man," said Paul, snapping her from her thoughts, and thankfully.

"Very well, it is a special day after all." One of the soldiers brought over his instrument and he strummed the strings. The whole hall fell silent to listen. 

Yes, no need to ponder such things now - it was her wedding after all, time to celebrate. 

-------------------------------

Later, after long feasting and celebrating, found the couple  settling down in their new shared chambers for a night to themselves. 

Lita, full of food and drink and a little fuzzy because of it, collapsed onto the large bed, smiling sleepily. Tonight, she would fall asleep in Gurney's arms for the first time and she had been rather looking forward to it. 

"Lady Halleck." Gurney murmured against her skin as he began pressing kisses down her neck.

 She giggled. "I quite like the sound of that."

"As do I."

She giggled again, pushing on the collar of his jacket while his fingers worked the fastenings on the back of her dress. She shivered with happiness when his rough fingertips brushed the  bare skin of her back.  

A sudden pounding at the door sounded then, breaking them out of their passionate moment. 

Who would be interrupting them on their wedding night? And why?

Gurney cursed and went to open it. Lita made sure her gaping dress was out of sight from the view from the doorway. 

The Lieutenant stood there, wide-eyed and alert.  "Pardon the interruption Sir, My Lady, but the shield's come down." His words came out in a rush. 

New husband and wife exchanged an alarmed look at this sudden news. 

Gurney sighed and came back over to her. "Stay here. Arm yourself but stay here. I will go inspect."

It was like something small was out of sorts, and he was just going to check up on it and come right back. But something deep within the pit of her stomach told her it was very much something else. 

 He pressed a kiss to her lips and whispered, "Lock the door," and then he was gone, following the Lieutenant away.

Yes, this was something else entirely.

The moments ticked by into minutes and still he did not return. She paced back and forth across the room, their room, where they were supposed to be, together.

 Then, the entire fortress shook with the force of a blast of some sort, and the alarm blared.

Things suddenly became strikingly clear: they were under attack. 

She would not hide, she would not cower-

She ran over to her wardrobe, all of the clothes from her previous chamber brought here earlier that day. The Fremen stillsuit caught her eye - something deep within her told her it was the right choice. 

Dressed in the suit she grabbed the new blade from Duncan, unbolted the door, and stepped out into the shadows.

(I've been so excited for this chapter! ;) It's also the second last chapter - at least until Dune Part II comes out in a couple of years!

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :) See you in the finale!)