Chapter 35: Half truths

A little quick sketch I made during class ^^

"He's here."

Dryden Vos wasn't the most pleasant man to look at. Sure, he wore he a nice black suit that fit him nicely, and his white button up underneath was opened just enough to view his muscled chest. But it were those red scars running down his face that made a shiver run up my spine.

He walked confidently; each step surer than the previous one as his eyes scanned the crowd like a hawk. When those piercing blue eyes landed on me, it seemed like everything stopped for a moment. My breath hitched in my throat but I narrowed my eyes, nonetheless, staring right back as I forced a smirk to play on my lips. I was to be the queen, not the doctor I had been for months. It would take some getting used to.

"Are you all right?" Obi Wan whispered into my ear as the grip of his hand tightened around my own. Only then did I realize that we were still dancing.

"I'm fine." My eyes flickered to his for just a moment before they darted back to Vos as he casually sat down at the bar, his hand reaching for the glass of whiskey that was instantly given to him.  Oh, he surely was the man in power here. That stern, assessing look that glided over the crowd was enough for me to tell. It almost screamed of a certain possessiveness, superiority, as if he knew that he could take on every single one of the men gathered there and live to tell the tale.

Again, his gaze landed on me, gliding over my figure and the man that still held me tightly. His eyes narrowed at the sight of the gold especially, the exact thing that betrayed our supposed 'high' status. He seemed to snicker then and turned back towards the bar. Disinterested. I scowled, feeling the frustration building in me at the sign of rejection.

"Stay here." I didn't even spare the jedi a glance as I let go of him, daring a step towards my prey. When a hand clasped around my wrist and pulled me back, I staggered in my steps and ended up scowling at him after I'd found my balance. People around us noticed the slight commotion and all turned their gazes towards us. "What do you think you're doing?" I glared up at him as he towered over me.

"Giving you an extra edge, dear." Obi Wan whispered so only I could hear. "Now, be careful."

A slight, almost invisible nod was my only reaction before I tore my wrist out of his grasp and straightened my spine, eyes narrowing to the point that they seemed to spit actual fire. Everyone around us held in their breath at the danger suddenly evident in my eyes. Even the jedi, who accepted his role, seemed to shrink into himself at that glare and stepped back. "My deepest apologies, your highness." He bowed deeply, hand poised above his heart and his nose getting awfully close to the floor. "I didn't know what came over me."

"Get out of my sight." Snarling, I waved him away, feeling an odd satisfying tug at my heart as he scattered away instantly. Chin held high, I turned back only to spot Dryden looking at me again, this time with a vague interest clear in his eyes.

Thank you, Obi Wan.

I took in a deep breath as I strode towards Vos, making sure my hips were swaying enough. When I arrived I merely took a seat a few feet away, motioning towards the bartender. "Give me your best whiskey." I smiled, leaning over the bar just slightly and noticed Dryden raking his eyes over my leg that was now exposed.

"Not one for games, are you?" He drawled, sipping his gaze leisurely.

My eyes widened slightly, having the vague idea that I'd heard that voice before. As my mind raced I simply turned towards him, shrugging as I accepted the drink that was handed to me. "I'm afraid I don't have that luxury." I took in his features, trying to seem just as unimpressed as he was. That face, I was sure I'd remember it if I'd ever met him before. And yet, that voice seemed oddly familiar.