Chapter 2: Leader of worlds

^^^A little taste of what is to come :))

"Anything I should know before going in there?" My voice sounded odd in my ears as we stopped in our tracks right before the entrance to the Chancellor's office. The path was long and full of odd stares from other Senators, their eyes glued to the armour covering my body until I was out of their sight. I almost felt the need to cover myself up, to hide the gear I had once worn so proudly.

Most of them had probably never seen war themselves but instead discussed the politics from afar. In a way it frustrated me that a warrior would disrupt them so in their own halls of the senate, a place where the fate of most soldiers would be decided. Instead of covering up, I showed the armour proudly, holding their gazes with a piercing look.

Padmé stalled right beside me, chuckling lightly to herself at my nervous state as I continued. "You know, allergies, things he absolutely hates and I definitely should not mention, -"

"You'll be fine, your majesty." Senator Amidala reassured me, gently laying her hand on my shoulder covered with dark plates. At first, after seeing her remarkably excessive clothes, I'd thought she was just another politician that was only here for her own benefit. Luckily, as our journey together continued, she quickly managed to change my mind.

Padmé narrowed her eyes ever so slightly as her grin deepened. "For a queen dressed like a warrior, - " Glancing back up at my green eyes a playful glint appeared in hers. "you seem extremely nervous for this meeting."

"I am about to decide the course of the future for my entire home planet, Senator." My hands went out to grasp the doorhandle, closing my eyes and trying to focus on the force that played around it.

Ever since I woke back up, I had been able to feel the past around certain objects, a slight glance back to what had happened before. It was the last remainder of the timeturner's power. Whatever they had done to extract the echo from me, they hadn't succeeded fully. Time was still coursing through my veins all be it in a lot smaller quantity than before.

I could feel the nerves of countless senators and leaders before me that too had grasped that same piece of metal, standing in the exact spot I was now. Some were angry or nervous, others afraid. Yet I couldn't get a single glance at the chancellor himself.

A sigh fell from my lips as I pressed down, pulling myself from the memories. "I am used to saving people, fighting wars and killing monsters. Politics is not my area of expertise." I glanced aside to try and distract myself for a moment longer, enjoying the kindness that swam in Padmé's eyes before I pressed the door open, appearing in the large room where the Chancellor himself was seated.

"Ah, queen Fireheart!" He stood up immediately, the city of Coruscant behind his back.

My breath was taken away for a moment. I had expected a lot but I did not expect him. He seemed kind, old but wise and stern yet welcoming. For a leader of entire star systems, he looked vulnerable, like a flower standing against the storm.

In my culture kings and queens were always warriors. It was the only way to keep the population in check and to handle the countless wars that always ravaged the planet. To be a leader, you had to be able to lead the battle on the front lines, to fight with the ferocity of a legend. It was only through tales of valour that the people would revere their leader. This man was clearly not a warrior, nor a commander. Feeble, old, he wouldn't last a single week in Valeria.

The Chancellor walked around his bureau, waving for us to come closer as he continued with a gentle voice. "I was hoping you might come. It's an honour, your majesty, to finally make your acquaintance. I have heard a lot about you from Anakin."