09 | Untouchable

Namjoon's brows were drawn together, lips set in a straight line and no dimples anywhere to be seen. He was still pondering what had just happened even as he opened the door to his home. The wonderful home he shared with his soulmates. The warm, happy home he always found a smile painting on his lips upon entering.
Not that day, though. Not when he carried such horrible news.

His mood was such a stark contrast to the warmth and happiness of the house. It wasn't a grand palace like some of the old covens called their own.
Even if Seokjin, Taehyung and Namjoon himself came from well-respected, elite bloodlines of powerful mages and were actually used to spacious manors and stiff etiquette, the remainder of their coven had always felt uncomfortable with flaunting wealth and power like that.
So considering their coven and the power it held, the house they called their home was humble, neither too outrageously big nor too uncomfortably small.
It was, however, rather old already. Namjoon, Yoongi, Hoseok and Jimin had bought it roughly eighty years ago when the old flat Namjoon and Yoongi had shared became too small with the addition of Hoseok and Jimin. 

The house was situated in the suburbs of Seoul, up a hill to have a great view of the city and with a considerably large garden around.
The inside was an amalgamation of different styles, colours and textures, but as odd as it sounded, it worked perfectly together. Minimalist furniture balanced out the extravagant tapestry. Earthy tones were pepped up with bright specks of vibrant colours. Fluffy blankets contrasted with smooth granite. The age of the house didn't inspire the expectation of much comfort but the Kim Coven had modernised it meticulously and so the house itself was a paradox of old age and modernity.
A pattern of yin and yang, of light and dark, of soft and harsh.
Just like they all as a Soulmate Circle balanced each other out perfectly.

Upon toeing off his shoes, Namjoon already felt the excitement thrum through his bonds that preceded the pounding of feet and the featherlight brush of air brushing against his own magick. Only a moment later Jimin hauled himself across the hallway and right into Namjoon's awaiting arms.
Tiny kisses were peppered all over the taller's face. Words of warm welcome mumbled in between. Plush lips gentle against skin. And yet...

Namjoon pushed Jimin softly away from himself. The younger's countenance changed in an instant. Now noticing the dull feel that was ringing through his mate's magick and welled over into their shared bond.
"What happened?", he asked, eyes rushing over Namjoon's form as magick reached out instinctively, searching for any injuries to heal or aches to sooth. Face that was so used to smile brightly pulled into a worried expression.
Namjoon sighed and brushed his knuckles gently against Jimin's cheek in a reassuring manner. A calming gesture. Intimate and soothing.
"Let's get into the kitchen so I can tell everyone at once, Jimin-ah", Namjoon said lowly, voice slightly gravely although he tried hard to not sound too worried.
"Hyung...", Jimin started, pouty lips pulled down in a frown but with one sombre look from Namjoon, Jimin let his voice trail off and nodded. Trying to provide comfort, Namjoon took Jimin's hand in his as he lead him to the kitchen. Or maybe Namjoon sought after comfort for himself.

As always when Namjoon came home from his late anthropology class, the rest of his coven was assembled in the kitchen, preparing the dinner and setting the large dining table for their joined meal. Gentle music flowed through the room as always — smooth jazz this time, indicating that Taehyung had won the rock, paper, scissors of who were to choose it.
Said Taehyung sat on the counter, Hoseok standing between his legs, locked in a hot make-out session completely oblivious to Jin swatting at them every now and then with the spatula, telling them to help instead. Yoongi didn't mind his kissing mates as he put plates and chopsticks into Jungkook's awaiting hands, but there was a soft gleam in his eyes and a gentle sway in his water-y magick.
Jungkook was the first to notice Namjoon and Jimin entering the kitchen as he turned towards the table. A wide bunny smile spread on his lips quickly.
But just as quickly it dropped as he saw their expressions and then a wave of dread crashed through the bond they all shared.
All heads snapped up immediately. Zeroing in on Namjoon.