12

{+}{+}{+}

Marinette's P.O.V

   "Is there anything you two want to do tomorrow for your first birthday together?" dad asked, glancing between me and Mallorie. I paused from taking another bite then set my fork down. I honestly don't know what to say.

   The idea of sharing a birthday with Mallorie is one thing (and a strange one at that). Yet, spending it with the person I'm not very fond of is a whole other scenario. I know I'll be at school tomorrow with the drama queen of the school. Though, Chloe has been acting oddly quiet nowadays.

   Now that I think about it, it's recently been too peaceful. No loud screeches. No "utterly ridiculous" or "I'm calling daddy" being shouted. No mean comments or retorts. Nothing. I know I should be happy about the change but it is very concerning. I should probably check up on Chloe through Sabrina.

   But that is a later problem. Right now, I've got my head full of spending time with someone I resent on a special day.

   I glanced at Mallorie from the side of my vision, seeing her with a distant look. It somewhat surprises me she hasn't put on her "innocent" mask and chirped about what we should do tomorrow. I'm once again concerned with the quietness and at the same time, kind of glad.

I'm also very confused. She was so sly and malevolent minutes ago. Now, she is blankly staring at a plate of food.

I wish I knew what she is thinking about. I've never seen her phased by anything until now. It's somewhat clear that something is bothering her. Maybe...it's the photograph. Did she notice it's missing? I returned my gaze to dad, seeing him frown with worry. He bowed his head.

"Girls, I know things are different and new for the both of you," he started, raising his head back up, "This is Mallorie's first time in a new country on the other side of the earth, and Marinette has never experienced having a sibling, let alone, a twin before. Everything is rickety between the three of us. But I'm willing to set all this aside for tomorrow to have some fun."

Unsureness settled in my stomach. I know dad means well and wants us to spend our first birthday together happy. Although...why is Shadow here now? What happened to Shadow before going to America? Dad seems too eager to celebrate something he could have done for the past sixteen years.

"Dad..." I spoke up, seriousness laced in my voice. This earned his full attention, wondering what I'm about to say.

I asked, "What happened all those years ago with Mallorie?"

Shadow scoffed, glaring at me. She stood up and stormed off, leaving the apartment. I watched her go, having the urge to follow her for some reason. Maybe it's my instinctive habit of concerning over people or...maybe it's something else. Could it be tomorrow that put Shadow in a bad mood?

Dad sighed.

"I don't think answering that question now is the appropriate time."

But why? Is tomorrow related to Shadow going off to America? What? What is it?!

I got up from my seat and ran after Shadow.

{+}{+}{+}

I eventually tracked Shadow down and found her kicking a mailbox. I carefully drew closer, hearing her cursing under her breath. There's a bit of a dent on the side of the metal mail containment. Passerby's watched in surprise before continuing on their way, not wanting to involve themselves in whatever issue the teen has.