• chapter 1 •

September 1st 2019

You admired your calendar for a moment.  So many days crossed off that lead you up to this moment right here. This was it and today was the day you were so excited for. The day you have been looking forward to for months. The papers were signed, the check was cleared. You could not wait to step foot into your new apartment. You neatly folded your calendar and tucked it away in your backpack. One of the last couple of items you had to pack.

  "That's it," your boyfriend smiled, patting and dusting his hands on his legs. "That's the last box. You ready for the drive?"

  You nodded and smiled. You could not believe that last night's sleep was the night that you slept in your childhood home. Yeah, of course you would miss it, but growth is exciting. Today was one of the many days you would see how all of the hard work was definitely paying off. You both made your way down the steps and you admired your home for a moment.

So many memories of your younger self  running through the halls. The times you ran down the steps on Christmas mornings when you were little and could not wait to open gifts. You found the wall where your mom tracked how much you grew. You traced the lines over the faded marking and smiled at them, remembering your mom telling you that she had to tell you to "hold still unless you want me to draw on your forehead." You would giggle and watch as your mother beamed upon the wall and realized how much you had grown.

This home had your heart but it was definitely time for a fresh start. You made your way out of the front door to find your dad doing one final walk through and closing the back of the moving truck.

"You sure you got it from here?" Your father asked the two of you.

"Yeah, they have an elevator and moving cart in the building," you respond.

"Ohhh wow, fancy fancy," your  dad throws his hands up after wiping a sweaty brow. "Be careful on the drive there."

"We will sir," your boyfriend replies with a smile.

You give each other one final hug and of course your parents are a bit emotional. You promised they could come visit as soon as everything was set up and how you wanted it to look. You have spent months searching for the right place. Then you spent months buying a few things at a time for your new apartment. It was a slow process that you wanted to feel right.

"Take lots of pictures, love," your mom winked. Knowing that of course you definitely would. Your love for photography runs deep because of her. She bought you your first camera at the age of 12. Even when your parents were struggling financially, they wanted you to discover your passions early on. Seven years later at 19 years old, here you are.

You are proud of how far your photography business has gotten you. Living in the small town of Concord, North Carolina finally moving to the city of Charlotte. You could not wait to get your studio open and see your business blow up in the city. But nonetheless, one step at a time babygirl. You just got your first apartment and you were so happy about it. The photography studio would come eventually. Right now you were just taking it all in. You built your success on hard work. With this being a full year since you graduated high school, you were able to work a job while building your photography brand. You were now taking the leap to go full time and all in on your photography work.

Your new apartment is a 800 square foot studio apartment. But it was so much more than just an apartment. It was your first home. You chose it because it had the beautiful city view that you always wanted. You were so excited to get started on decorating it. You looked out of the window as your boyfriend sat in the driver's seat, steering the moving truck through the interstate on the 30 minute drive there.