Twenty-Two

No one dared to try on the Hat for at least two days after the incident

No one dared to try on the Hat for at least two days after the incident. After it refused to let go of Godric's head, I could tell something happened to him while the hat was inside his mind. I caught him glancing toward the Hat, trying to gain the courage to try again, but he kept coming up with excuses of more important tasks.

This morning, Rowena surrounded herself in a mountain of books. I didn't even know she had this many.

She spent hours with the Hat, casting different spells, trying different experiments, and even gave him a stern talk about manners. (I'm not sure what he is—but I decided that the Hat is a he.)

I tried helping her by looking up more passages for her to read about, but she had a habit of finding useful information before I could. It was like she had read all of these books before or something.

Simon came to check on us once or twice, but he kept a skeptical eye on the hat. He was very careful not to get too close. Once he was satisfied that there was nothing we could do to entertain him, he ran off to find someone else.

Finally, Rowena was confident enough in her new spells that she placed the Hat back on the stool in the middle of the Great Hall. She even called every one in, and we stood around the Hat just like we did two days before.

However, Rowena was not confident enough to try it on herself.

She looked to Godric, expecting him to try it on first. Ever since I met him, he was always looking for a chance to be the leader, to effortlessly pave the way for the rest of us to follow him. But today he stared stoically at the Hat, not showing any attention toward Rowena's hints.

"I'll do it." I stated, turning everyone's heads toward me.

I've always felt like dead weight, ever since Helga rescued me. I've felt like I didn't belong with these bold, bright wizards and witches. So I decided that I would pick up the slack and carry my weight, starting with the Hat.

"Wait a minute." Salazar spoke, even though he was not saying a word two seconds ago. "You don't know if it's safe yet."

I stared at him for a good moment. Why did he care if it was safe? Godric tried it on and he was just fine, sort of. As much respect and adoration I had for Salazar, I was not backing down.

"It's okay. I trust Rowena." I turned back toward the Hat while Rowena snickered.

Before anyone could stop me, I picked the Hat up and placed it on my head.

Suddenly, I was transported, no longer in the Great Hall. Or anywhere near here.

I saw a figure standing in front of me. She was familiar. She was smiling at me, crying. And then she walked away.

She was replaced by wind, blowing so realistically that I felt my hair blow against my neck. The wind blew stronger until it brought with it a little girl. She was playing in the grass, so innocent. And so real. I expected her to be taken away dramatically, like all of my nightmares.

But instead she just stood up and walked away.

Lastly, a third figure walked toward me. I couldn't see his face, the light getting dimmer the closer he got to me. I leaned forward, trying to catch a glimpse of him. I could almost see him—

The Hat was pulled off of my head. Salazar stood in front of me, the Hat in the clutch of his right hand, while he grabbed onto my arm with his left.

"Are you okay? Did it do anything to you?" He asked frantically, searching my face for any sign of harm.

"No." I shook my head, glancing toward Godric who was staring at me curiously. "No, it didn't."

I wondered if Godric had seen the same thing or if it was different for him.

"You were under there for five minutes." Helga said, concern laced in her voice.

"It felt like five seconds." I laughed and stepped away from the hat. "But I'm fine. I promise."

Later that night, I found Godric outside, staring up at the sky. I walked out beside him, making sure he could hear my footsteps so that he wouldn't be startled by my presence.

After my turn, no one wanted to put the Hat on, claiming we should wait another day in case the Hat needed time. Godric left quickly, so I was unable to discuss what happened until now.

For a moment we both just stood in silence. I didn't know what to say, even though I had been replaying the visions in my head over and over.

"Did you see something too?" I finally asked.

Godric breathed in really deep, as if he had just realized that I was right next to him. Maybe he really was that oblivious.

"I did." He nodded. "I was surrounded by fire. I couldn't breathe. I saw people all around me, running toward me, but none of them ever made it. I couldn't get the hat off, so I just kept seeing shadows. It felt like five seconds to you, but to me it felt like hours."

I pursed my lips together. In a way, I felt guilty. I think we both saw what we needed to, but mine was much less scarring. I almost didn't want to tell him what I saw, but he was vulnerable with me when he hadn't told anyone else.

"Mine was wind. But not the intense kind, like the peaceful kind. And I saw three figures, I couldn't quite see who they were, but I think they represented important people in my life. I was so paranoid though. I was expecting fire, because I see it every night when I go to sleep. But I think the Hat knew I wouldn't be able to take it."