Eleven

When Godric and his sister returned to the parlor, neither of them said anything, but Godric's expression did not look promising

When Godric and his sister returned to the parlor, neither of them said anything, but Godric's expression did not look promising. I looked to Salazar as his face fell, and I just knew we were done for.

"Right well, you all will stay here tonight. And we will speak again in the morning."

For three nights, I heard Godric's sister repeat this sentence. For three nights, I endured the unknown. And after the third night, Godric and his sister somehow came to an agreement.

"What did you have to do?" Salazar insisted, once Godric's sister was nowhere near. Even though all of us were involved in the school, Godric refused to tell us anything until he and his sister were finished discussing. It made me feel like a child.

"You all can't get upset with me. I did what I had to do." Godric began, and we all groaned. "I promised her she could be involved with building the school."

"Well it is her money. I don't see why she shouldn't be involved." Rowena concluded, which meant a lot considering she did not particularly like Godric's sister.

"That's not all." Godric hesitated carefully. "I promised that she could be the headmistress."

I backed away. I did not want to get involved in what was about to happen.

"I don't think I heard you right." Rowena laughed. "I thought you said she was to be the headmistress, which clearly isn't right, because I remember clearly discussing that I would the headmistress."

"Rowena, you have to understand. She wasn't going to--" Godric tried to explain, but he was too far gone.

"Oh no. I understand quite well. Quite well." Rowena forced a smile that was slightly terrifying. I decided I never wanted to see this side of Rowena again, because I was too scared of what she could do.

~

Once Godric's sister, whose name I eventually learned was Lois, was on board, the process moved along a lot faster. Within a day, we had decided on the grounds we would build the school upon. Rowena agreed, as the conditions matched her dream, but she was still careful about every suggestion Lois made. And she was not talking to Godric either.

After the grounds were decided upon, Lois built the four of us a temporary hut so that we would not have to bother her in her house any longer. She also granted us supplies to begin designing the school and the contents within. She would check in with us periodically, but little input was given on her part.

"So here is what I am thinking," Godric said on night, scratching on a piece of parchment with his quill. "We divide the students into five houses, each of them headed by the five of us. We will take students based on what they value."

"What if each house had a mascot as well? And colors! They'll need a way to identify themselves." Helga suggested and Godric nodded, writing down her thoughts.

"Whatever we decide, I just hope my students beat Godric's in everything." Rowena remarked.

I couldn't help but laugh at her, but until she glared at me, I thought she was joking.

"You know what, Rowena. I'll let you decide which students you would like first because I owe you." Godric looked to her, forcing a smile onto his face, similar to the one she gave him the other day.

"How considerate of you." She narrowed her eyes on him. "I'll take the students who value wisdom and creativity. And I want my house colors to be blue and bronze, before anyone else claims them."

"Very well." Godric nodded, writing down everything she said. "And the mascot? How about a raven? That seems fitting."

"Oh gracious, no, absolutely not. An eagle." Rowena shook her head and pointed her finger at his paper, making sure he wrote it down right.

"I want to go next." Helga announced excitedly. I think she just wanted to interrupt the tension between Rowena and Godric. "Yellow like the sun. And black. Oh, and I want a badger because they look so innocent but could scratch your eyes out if they wanted to. Those are the students I want, the loyal ones that will defend their friends and their beliefs until the end."

"Salazar?" Godric asked, once he finished writing down Helga's thoughts.

"You first, my friend." Salazar smiled at him.

"Oh. Well, I will do red and gold with a lion representing my house. I'll take the students who value bravery and courage above all else." Godric decided.

All of their houses seemed so thought out and prepared, that it left me behind. Which students would I take? And what colors would I use? How did the others prepare their answers so fast? The only explanation that made sense to me what that they had all been thinking of this for years, and now it was finally happening.

I looked to Salazar, eager to hear what his answer would be, but he was already looking at me.

"Would you like to go next?" He asked and I quickly shook my head. "Okay then. Green and silver, represented by a serpent. My students will value ambition above all else. They may be cunning, but they will also be resourceful."

Now it was my turn. What did I do to deserve a house anyway?

"Purple and white." I said the first two colors that came to mind, followed by an animal I had only heard stories about. "An elephant."

"Interesting choice." Godric noted as he wrote.

"Says the one who picked a lion." Rowena scoffed, rolling her eyes.

"Go on, Lyra." Helga prodded excitedly.

"Let's see." I stalled, thinking of traits I value and what I have gone through. "I will take the students that value perseverance. Even through the worst times, they will persist."

Godric nodded as he finished writing down everything. "I think we have five houses."

"This is so exciting." Helga clapped and skipped around the room.

So this was really happening. I was about to be in charge of an entire house of students.

How could I take care of them when I couldn't even protect my own daughter?