Twenty-Three

The months leading up to the students' arrival quickly turned into weeks and soon they would turn into days

The months leading up to the students' arrival quickly turned into weeks and soon they would turn into days. Time was not our friend, as our list of tasks to complete was still too long.

The Sorting Hat, however, became an absolute marvel. It took some convincing, but once Helga, Rowena, and Salazar all tried on the Hat, It had developed an understanding of each of us in a way that we did not know was possible.

It also developed an impeccable singing voice, but I have yet to discover which one of us It inherited the talent from.

Simon took a few days before he would come near the Hat again, but once he realized It was friendly, he begged me every day to put It on. But he could not, not until the other students were here and he was to be sorted with everyone else.

Salazar wanted to sneakily put it on Simon without the others knowing, but I still refused. I did not want Simon to miss out on the experience that all the other students would get. Plus, I think Salazar just wanted to know if Simon would be in his house. As much as I want Simon to be in mine, my money is on Helga.

I found it quite sweet how taken Salazar was with Simon. Salazar was a soft spoken man, and one would not expect that he would entertain a child for very long. But he has already taken Simon under his wing and taught him so much.

I came across the two of them by the lake one day. Simon clutched Salazar's wand in his hand, while Salazar guided him.

"There you go now." Salazar said, adjusting Simon's arm. "Remember the word?"

"Lumos!" Simon shouted excitedly and small wisps of light shot from the end of Salazar's wand.

"Almost there." Salazar chuckled at the boy.

I walked up to them smiling as Salazar noticed my presence. He stood up straighter and turned toward me, also gaining the attention of Simon. Before he could say anything, Simon jumped toward me with the brightest eyes.

"He's teaching me how to use magic!" Simon told me happily.

"I see that." I smiled at him. "Looks like we're going to have to get you your own proper wand soon."

Simon gasped, looking between Salazar and me. "You really mean it?"

"Yes," Salazar nodded. "You will need one soon. But all in good time, my boy."

Simon squealed and jumped, throwing his arms around me in the tightest hug. Simon loved to give hugs, and I never refused them because I knew one day he might not anymore.

"All right, that's enough lessons for today." Salazar ruffled the boy's hair and took back his wand. "Why don't you go find Helga and see if she needs your help?"

"Okay!" Simon nodded without a question and ran back up to the castle.

I laughed as I watched him go, such a young happy boy willing to do anything. I prayed that he would never change.

"Classes haven't even begun and you already have a favorite student." I teased him. He looked away with a hint of a smile on his face.

"Oh, Lyra," Chills ran down my spine. "I could never choose a favorite. What would the others think?" He played along with a shake of his head.

"Well, good then. That means I can claim him." I kept going, knowing that would really get under his skin.

"Now, wait just a minute—" He backtracked, turning toward me and holding his hand out.

I interrupted by grabbing the hand he held out to me. I grinned up at him and laughed, the look of frustration still etched upon his face. "I'm only joking."

"Right." He narrowed his eyes playfully, as if I had just challenged him and he was accepting.

"I would never dream of making an enemy out of you, Salazar." I said dramatically, adding a giggle onto the end. He shook his head at me again with a glare that could see into my soul.

I couldn't tell if he wanted to kill me or kiss me.

"You're infuriating." He decided, and my mouth dropped open.

"And here I thought we were friends. Have you been faking all this time?" I put my hand over my heart, pretending to mourn us.

"We aren't friends." He stated bluntly. I felt a real pang in my chest, different from this game we were playing. Was this real or pretend?

"Oh." I responded, trying to hide the real emotion in my voice. I then cleared my throat, to keep playing along. "Enemies then?"

"No." The corners of his lips turned up. Now he was the infuriating one. "Definitely not that either."

I dropped his hand and stepped back. "Well you are much too confusing then, sir. I'm afraid we can no longer be of acquaintance."

"Oh, thank goodness." He theatrically released the biggest sigh of relief.

I laughed at him and took multiple strides back. "I did not know you wanted rid of me so badly."

"Lyra." I wished he would stop saying my name, because every time he did, my mind couldn't focus on anything else.

He closed the distance I had put between us and took my hand in his once more. I looked up in his eyes, the most gorgeous mixture of forrest green and golden brown I had ever seen.

"Tell me, Salazar." I began, hardly bringing my voice above a whisper. "If we aren't friends, but we aren't enemies either, where does that put us?"

He brought his free hand to the side of my face, carefully running his fingers through my hair. His face was so close to mine that I could feel his breath leaving his lips. We lingered there for a moment, his eyes closed.

Then, after what felt like a century, he finally answered. "I haven't the slightest idea."