Epilogue

Salazar Slytherin took one more look back at the castle behind him. He smiled to himself, thinking of all of the happy moments he cherished from inside.

He had been petrified, not dead, for nearly two years before any of them found a solution to wake him. Rowena searched her books day and night for months, before eventually giving up.

They all assumed he was as good as dead, that there was no solution to reverse his fate. However, none of them felt right about digging him a grave, especially when they could still feel his pulse. He was very much alive.

One day, a student came to Rowena about "the man who was sleeping" in the hospital wing. The student said that something similar had happened to her mother once, and that her father knew a wizard that could heal him.

At first, Rowena was skeptical. While Salazar was still alive, he was not just sleeping. But she felt in her heart that this may be her only chance.

Rowena, Helga, and Godric all agreed to let the wizard try. The wizard was an expert in all magical creatures and plant life. He carried a plant, called a "mandrake," in, instructing everyone to leave the room.

Of course Godric did not want to leave him in there alone, but the wizard refused to work with anyone.

After a few hours, he was finished. And a few more hours after that, Salazar was healed.

It was a happy reunion. Many tears were shed, and Salazar's three friends felt like they could breathe for the first time in years.

However, the one person Salazar was looking for was not there.

Godric explained what happened to Salazar, and he understood, though he didn't agree with Godric's methods.

Salazar tried for a few months to return to his old life. The school was fully operational, and his days consisted of teaching young wizards' minds. But it wasn't enough for him.

The aching in his heart knowing that she was still out there all but consumed him.

He needed to find her.

So, as he stood on the hill, looking back at the castle, he knew he was doing what he wanted. And as he left, he thought about everything he was leaving behind.

His friends, his students, his legacy.

And the basilisk.