Ten

That night, Rowena stayed in the bed due to her pregnant state

That night, Rowena stayed in the bed due to her pregnant state. Godric and Salazar elected to sleep on the floor while Helga and I squeezed into the bed with Rowena. Even though it was my first night in an actual bed in what seemed like forever, I struggled with falling asleep. With Godric's snores and Helga nuzzled into me, my mind refused to rest.

After staring at the blank ceiling for a while, I turned on my side and looked down at Salazar's figure. He was lying on the floor, his eyes wide open and looking back into mine.

"Do you never sleep?" He whispered.

"I was about to ask you the same question." I sent a small smile back.

We sat in silence for a few moments.

"What was your life like before?" I asked softly.

Salazar sighed and looked up at the ceiling. At first I felt nervous for asking such a forward question, but before I could take it back, he started answering. "My life was good. I lived with my parents and my brother. Helga was around often too. She and my brother were so in love. I was jealous of the happiness my brother had. They were supposed to get married the summer before he died. My parents died from sickness and after that, my brother's health started declining. He would go into town and get drunk almost every night. He picked a fight with a muggle and was burned in the streets because his drunken slur prevented him from defending himself. Because of my brother's openness, the muggles found Helga and I quickly. Neither of us wanted to harm the muggles, so we fled to her parents as soon as possible."

"I'm so sorry, Salazar." I whispered, reaching down and taking his hand.

He glanced up with me, tears glistening in his eyes. He squeezed my hand as his lips formed a straight, thin smile. "Tell me about your daughter."

"Ophelia. She was the most beautiful child I'd ever seen. She was my sole purpose of life. She would've been such a talented witch. I think she was a metamorphagus. She could change her appearance at will. That's how her father found out about her." My voice cracked and I took a moment to stop, shutting my eyes to control my emotions.

"It's okay to still feel pain from this. She sounds like she was amazing. I can't even imagine losing my own child. Let yourself mourn, Lyra." Salazar ran his thumb over my hand.

I nodded. "I think you need to mourn too."

~

The next morning, I woke up with my arm draped over the side of the bed and my fingers were loosely entwined with Salazar's. I didn't want to let go, but I forced myself to once I heard Helga stir awake next to me.

Once we were all awake, Godric brought up the idea of going to London.

"We need money. We can loan some from my sister." Godric suggested, but the very mention of his sister made Rowena groan.

"Don't be ridiculous. Your sister would never give us money! You know how she is, Godric." Rowena protested, rubbing her large, round belly.

"He has a sister?" I whispered to Salazar, who nodded his head.

"His half sister. Godric is illegitimate." Salazar explained and my eyes widened. By the way Godric carried himself, I never would have guessed he was conceived out of wedlock.

"We have to try. But if anyone has a better idea I am open to suggestions." When none of us had anything to say, he stood up abruptly. "London it is."

~

I stared up at the vast manor in front of me. I had never seen such an ornate building in my entire life. I suddenly felt underdressed and uneducated. I could tell the others were feeling the same way, but Rowena did not care.

"If we want her to help, please pretend you like her, Rowena." Godric pleaded. This was the first time in the few months I knew him that I had ever seen him nervous.

He walked up to her door and knocked. A few moments went by and I could tell Godric was considering leaving, but as soon as her turned around, the door swung open. I am not sure what I expected to be behind the door, but this was not it.

The woman who opened the door was clearly in her fifties. Her hair was a striking red with white streaks cascading over her shoulders. Her sophisticated stance and elegant clothing practically screamed how much money she was worth. Many questions were racing through my mind, but the most prominent one was: is this Godric's sister or his sister's mother?

"Godric." The woman smirked. "What an unpleasant surprise."

"Hello sister." Godric sighed, forcing a smile onto his face.

"I hope you've come to apologize. But I have a feeling you have no intentions of doing so." She glanced around at all five of us, with her eyes returning to her brother last.

"I was going to get to that." Godric said quickly. Almost too quickly.

"Just come inside." She rolled her eyes, ushering us all in.

She then led us to the parlor and invited us to wait while she discussed things with her brother in private. When they went to her study, I turned to Salazar with my questions.

"What did he do that he has to apologize for?" I whispered to him, as if the walls had ears. Before he could answer, Rowena stepped in instead.

"Her son. He was supposed to help us with the school, but he was killed in a terrible potions accident years ago. Even though it was his fault, she still blames Godric for asking him to help with the school. There is no way she will give money to this cause, but Godric is so stubborn. It was a miracle she even let us in." Rowena shook her head, already accepting defeat.

"Unfortunately she's right. However, none of the rest of us have a rich half-sister." Salazar ran his hand over his bearded chin and his eyebrows wrinkled together in stress.