¶Actions and Consequences¶

Femi

Femi looked at the screen, dumbfounded. His name was at the top of the list, with the highest number of good throws. Seven. How? He had never played the game before, let alone understanding the rules well enough to throw his blue ball accurately. All he did was throw as near to the black one as he could and hope for the best in the game.

Mr. Han's voice pierced through his ears. "Congratulations are in order, Femi. You've won the fourth game and as this is your second win, you'll automatically be the Assistant Head of House till the next games."

Femi heard claps ring out, and he looked at the smiling faces of the housemates. They seemed happy for him, all except Marcello. His roommate stood at the edge of the door to the game room, glaring at him. Not really at him, though but at everyone.

His loss and immediate elimination was another issue that needed to be addressed. His roommate's confidence for this game was apparent, he said he regularly played back at home yet he was unable to get even three good throws.

"As you're aware the next games will be two days from now, at noon. Come prepared, and goodluck to the seven of you." Mr. Han said, dismissing them.

When they all stepped out, Mr. Han closed the door behind them and locked it as usual. Femi suspected it was to give him time to arrange the departure of the eliminated housemate, or to start arranging it for the next games. He was sure the mystery door at one edge of the game room led elsewhere.

As he looked towards where some of the housemates stood, he saw Mareike talking animatedly to Marcello talking in a corner and he saw the guy's annoyed face take a twist and turn into one of shock. He hoped she was giving him a piece of her mind, it was long overdue. He was still watching when she pointed a finger at his face and stormed out of the lounge, retreating into Room A.

Femi stared at the ashen face of his now ex-roommate, wondering how the girl put up with him. It had been tiresome to deal with someone who regularly made fun of people behind their back, especially Florian and Mareike who were supposed to be close to him. Femi suspected the guy also made fun of him, just like the white guys at his college.

The straw that broke the camel's back for him was the incident today; he was a bit tempted to tell Marcello that his love interest was behind him, but he wanted nothing more than for the girl to see the guy for what he really was: a manipulator.

He still looked annoyed at the turn out of events, but it was over and done for him. Honestly, he didn't feel sad for the guy though. Eventually, they would all leave and get back to their normal lives, God willing.

In the beginning, the games had him thinking of Escape room but the organizers regularly sent them video messages of the housemates outside, so he relaxed. The others were doing well, in their various countries and nothing was amiss. Even if he didn't win, he had gained enough experience and his bucket list would have one more tick.

Participate in Escape room games. Check. Maybe, not exactly Escape room but it was nearly the same thing.

Suddenly someone tapped his shoulder and when he turned, Chiara was smiling at him.

"Congrats in today's game, and thanks for supporting my friend. You're a good person, Femi." She said, and instantly walked away giving him no chance to reply.

Things kept getting weirder in the house.

Mareike

"Mareike, that was incredible. How did you do it?" Chiara said inaudibly, trying to make her voice a whisper.

Mareike whispered back. "I do not really know, I just started saying stuff in my head and it happened."

A part of her was still shocked by the play out of the events; Marcello was long gone and she was single again. Back to her feelings of body hate and loneliness.