¶Giant Jenga¶

27th October

Eryk

Eryk had no way of knowing what the next game was. The first thing he saw when he entered the game room for the fifth time was the stage covered by a red curtain hanging from one end of the platform to the other.

The room was lit with three small red bulbs attached to one side of the wall. He had never noticed those particular ones before, and although they were dim, they looked new. The chairs allocated to the housemates were covered with fabric and decorated with red bows at their backs. It seemed more grand than the previous ones, and with seven of them still remaining, it made no sense.

Eryk moved on to sit down, not without noticing the now usual silence of the housemates. Since the incident with the girls and the kitchen, every conversation was held in quiet whispers and gestures.

They all saw how Chiara started the argument and shoved his roommate off her body before screaming the kitchen into flames. If he hadn't seen it, he wouldn't have believed the girl started the smoke without a match or lighter.

Within seconds, the kitchen was filled with smoke and he saw Ingrid faint possibly from the inhalation. However, what shocked him more was Mareike's reaction. She simply touched Chiara and closed her eyes, and immediately the smoke was gone leaving only the soot behind.

"Hi. How's she?" Someone beside Eryk asked, pulling him out of his thoughts.

He nodded his head, not bothering to feign ignorance. "She's better now, and she explained everything. Chiara shouldn't have said that, you know."

Priya looked down and shrugged, "I told her that, but the deed was done. Is Mareike still angry at me?" She asked, now looking into Eryk's eyes.

He saw sadness in her eyes when they locked with his, and a thump came from his chest area. Eryk ignored it and nodded his head at her question.

A part of him felt like drawing her close to comfort her, but he held back. Yesterday's events brought the roommates closer as friends, and though he couldn't explain it, he knew he and Mareike had a connection.

Maybe it was from their shared dreams and callings to a strange place. As far as he knew, only the both of them were having those dreams and he didn't feel like telling anyone else.

He broke the stare and cleared his throat. "Mr. Han is here, let's focus on the games for now. I'm sure everything will be resolved."

From his side eye, he saw her give a small nod and focus on the stage as well, where Mr. Han was sitting beside a miniature tower made of small blocks.

"Good afternoon Housemates. I trust you're all doing well today. As you know, today is dedicated to the fifth game but, before that, I'll address the elephant in the room. The organizers witnessed the unfortunate accident yesterday, and remodelling is currently underway.

However, you all have evolved from strangers into acquaintances and friends so there should be less quarrels and more anger management. This is the second time this is happening, caused by the same parties as before thus a punishment has been issued to them." Mr. Han stopped to bring out a sheet of paper from his coat pocket.

He unfolded it and continued, reading directly from it. "Mareike and Chiara, for impulsive behaviour and improper conduct, you have received a strike. This prevents you from participating in the AHOH games which will be conducted in the evening of October 27th. Also, you both are to do all the chores assigned by the incoming AHOH and give the other housemates a day off. Hopefully, this will help in settling any differences and bridging the gap." The man finished and folded the paper back.