★ the final page <3 </3? :P

art by @ peakoHQ on Twitter <3

tw // minor mention of manipulation, drinking + smoking

au!wilbur, fluff [+ angst?], romantic

she/her

a/n: BASED HEAVILY ON HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, [specifically season 8, episode 12: the final page] EVEN IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH THE SERIES IT WOULD STILL MAKE SENSE WITHOUT WATCHING IT :D

recommended song to play on loop:
let your heart hold fast by fort atlantic
[ himym fans, you'll recognise it :'] ]

Y/N pov

"I love you!" he proclaims confidently and extends out his arms for the whole world to hear out on this rooftop, his voice preventing me from walking out that door back down from the roof of our apartment building. The wind blew through my hair, making sure to mess up and tangle every already-made knot in it.

"What?" I merely mutter, not taking another glance at him. He broke my heart in this whole thing, this whole lie. He manipulated me and played with my feelings, my emotions, and I didn't know if I could forgive him for such a mental crime, "You dated her, you proposed to her, you're getting fucking married next week and you're telling me this-? Stop saying such things-"

"Darling," he brushes his hand upon mine, and when I didn't move mine, he took it as a sign to grab it, "I love you, you're beautiful-"

"Is that all you see me as?" I turn around to face him, my hand snatching out of his, "A 'beautiful' one-night stand that simply lasted more than one night? Is that it?!"

"Smart, creative, funny, lovable, caring, stunning, determined, strong, ambitious, affectionate, charming, mindful, motivational, must I really go on, dear?" he clasps onto both of my hands, pulling me into a hug. As if the gods were watching all of this happening, it began to rain, "I should be marrying you..."

"You chose her," I push him away, placing my hand on the doorknob as I leave him on the roof alone. The droplets from the sky trickle down, dampening my whole body and leaving me cold and unaware of which ones were tears and which were not. I almost forgot the flower he gave me, an iris, which rested in my hands, so I drop it on the ground, not wanting to see it again, "Not me... Her,"

This was just like the job opening, she got chosen, not me. The same girl.

The last member of the group to attend the concert because there weren't enough tickets, her.

Lucky third time of being second, right?

The door shuts behind me, met with a camera in my face, filming me. I take a deep breath holding back tears, leaning against the door and sinking to the ground, the camera following the expression on my miserable face.

"AND... CUT!" our director shouts, taking a sip of his coffee as I enter back onto the roof with the door shutting behind me, "Everybody take ten, we'll shoot the next scene of Y/N walking away down at the bottom of the building."

I wipe away my tears created by my own memories of personal matters for this scene. The rain falling from the sky stopped, it was a rain machine. The crew members wrap me in a jacket and a towel, doing the same with my co-star. Curly brunette, stylish glasses, chocolate brown eyes, tall... Handsome.

"Hey there, beautiful," Wilbur approaches me with his hands in his pockets. I give a short chuckle to the reference to our show, "If we're quick enough we could grab a muffin down at the bakery?"

"Ah, sorry Wilbur, I'd rather not, just want to get ready for my big scene, yeah?" The real reason was that I didn't want to be alone with him, it would bring up unresolved feelings, he was already with my co-worker, Sally, who thought we were friends but I fucking hate her guts. Yeah, and he was going to propose to her tonight.