Deal with the Devil

As KARR followed behind Dillon into the town of Cripple Creek he couldn't help but notice heads turn as he rolled past. He was arguably getting more attention than KITT's onlookers, though he wasn't certain he'd know either way. Merely a guess. But like his twin he was preparing himself for the very real possibility that someone would try to steal him as if he were some common vehicle. Of course, it would end very badly for anyone who dared to try.

He hung back as Dillon stopped in front of the Devil's Rose Casino. KARR thought it was an odd name for a gambling local, but from what he could tell it was one of the more popular locations on the strip.

There were a few men outside who clearly weren't customers, standing tall and rigid with their arms tightly folded and backs against the building wall. And they did not look very thrilled to see Dillon as he stepped off his bike. "You've got some nerve showing up here." One of the men stated, stepping away from the wall and confronting Dillon while blocking the entrance. "The bosses aren't too happy with you right now. All your stupid 'get rich quick' ideas, every last one of them falling through..." He gripped Dillon's right shoulder with his left hand, and KARR noticed him stifle a wince. "If it weren't for your recent escapade," he added lowly and threateningly, "You would have been dead yesterday."

The words barely sunk in, or otherwise Dillon didn't show it a he smacked the larger man's hand away. "Hey it's not my fault they have idiots like you messing things up, Dakota," he gruffed defensively. "If you wanna blame someone for failure, blame yourself. I'm no goddamn failure like the rest of you."

He tried to move around the man, but he wasn't having it. In a swift motion Dakota flipped around and pulled him back by the shirt. "You wanna run that by me again, trailor trash?" he challenged with a sneer as he reached for the knife in his belt. KARR saw it before Dillon did but so did the other men. Damn it! This was his only in for getting that technician and now he was going to have to save this dumbass... Or at least that's what he thought. Thankfully another man who was dressed much more smartly than the others came out and interjected.

"Now you boys know I hate having blood spilled at the front entrance." The man stated coolly. "It's too much work to get the stains out."

The man holding Dillon let go giving him an expression that said, 'you got lucky this time.'

Only once he stepped away could KARR see Dillon had been surprisingly faster, having already had his gun in the other man's stomach and prepared to pull the trigger.

"What brings you here, Dillon?" The man in charge asked eyeing him suspiciously.

"Nothing much, boss. Just a real estate opportunity that I've been working on for you, on the side," Dillon informed him with a smirk.

There was a glint of interest in the man's eyes but he kept his expression neutral. "It wouldn't happen to be the establishment down in Guffey, would it?"

"Yessir, it is." Dillon nodded. "All that remote land to use for your operations, and exotic critters that can earn you a fortune on top of the one you already got." Then he added, "Do you have any idea what the right buyer would pay for a pure bred wolf or it's skin these days? Definitely more than a shiny penny."

The man narrowed his eyes and hummed in thought. He was interested, of course. But there was a hint of doubt in his expression. "I must say I'm intrigued. I like the sound of it." Then his face turned serious. "But you've been promising that land for awhile now, Dillon. And so far you've failed to deliver." He waved a hand as a gesture for Dillon to follow him off to the side so they weren't standing in the way of the entrance. The other men had Dillon flanked while the boss kept his back to them, straightening himself as he gave off an intimidating air.