Cripple Creek

After a relatively slow morning and easy drive through the mountains, Michael, Katie, and KITT arrived in Cripple Creek in the back parking lot of the Wildwood Hotel. The building appeared small from the outside, but according to KITT's research, it was much larger indoors due to some floors expanding underground. It made some sense, actually, considering the town's gold mines had once run beneath this entire stretch of the mountain.

"Now, Michael," KITT said as his partner opened the pilot door to step out of the vehicle. "Devon informed me to remind you: While this business is also a casino, there will be no gambling. The reservation only stands for two days, so no lollygagging. His words, of course."

"Yeah, yeah, I know," Michael said with a roll of his eyes. He wasn't fond of being nagged.

"He also said any money you do lose here will not be reimbursed by the foundation," KITT added swiftly.

This time, Michael turned around while adjusting the com-link on his wrist. "Oh, come on, now how is that fair?"

A touch of humor was evident in the AI's voice. "I imagine he is merely covering the bases, Michael, considering the escapades of your previous assignment."

"Geez, it couldn't have been that bad."

"Four hundred and eighteen dollars and thirty-seven cents at the local gambling hall in Sacremento, California," he recited, undoubtedly having a perfect memory of the event. He didn't offer any further details.

Now Michael was exasperated. "I was on a roll! How was I supposed to know that guy would pull a full house at the last round?" he bickered.

"The facts stand nonetheless, Michael. Devon said if you weren't distracted by the bar fight our informant started, you might have seriously damaged the Foundation's budget."

At that, there was a light scoff from Katie. "My my, leading such a festive career I see," she chided with sarcasm as she too exited the car and leaned her elbow on the roof with the other hand on her hip. "Are you always a loose canon, or is it just special occasions?" It was obvious she was only teasing. But Michael, of course, chose to be petty.

"Hey, why isn't she getting the same reminder? She hasn't even been in the field before."

At the implication, she sent him an irritated frown, and her voice jumped an octave in offense. "Excuse me??"

The AI beat her to a rebuttle. "Devon trusts Katie's track record of having a frugal and prudent nature. Those were his words also, as he knew you would say something to argue."

Just like that, Katie's frown turned into a smirk in renewed pride, prompting Michael to give her a narrow glower. "Aww, wouldn't you know it. Mister Miles still gets me after all these years," she goaded cheerfully.

It was only then that Michael conceeded, though not without a final word. "Teacher's pet," he grumbled.

And she had no problem popping it back. "Class clown."

Katie led the way into the hotel, and Michael followed after. The first thing he noticed was an enormous fireplace situated in the center of the lobby. Judging from the particular brickwork above it, it likely sent heat out along the entire hotel like a form of central heating. Where there wasn't grey marble forming the walls, dark wood was used in accents with shallow carvings of buffalo and deer. There were quite a few people here, which made sense considering the adjoining casino was so popular. It shouldn't have been surprising, given the history of the local gold mining community that KITT mentioned in the debreifing on their way here.

Picking up the pace of his steps, Michael stepped around Katie and confidently strode up to the counter. She stared after him in irked disbelief at his pushiness, but he didn't see it. He was too busy once again being his "charming" self to the desk clerk - a woman in her early thirties with her brown hair pinned up in a side-bob to go with her business uniform.