Casino

Once Katie had taken care of the room situation, she changed into slightly nicer clothes, including a decorative scarf that once belonged to her mother. She had explained that because she lived in the general area, there was a chance she would be recognized, and that might hurt the investigation. Michael made a mental note to keep an eye in her, not necessarily to protect her but to see if anyone was watching her specifically. He would have her back no matter what. Now that they were down at the casino, they decided to split up to cover more ground. Katie walked around eyeing the various games. There was an entire section dedicated to slot machines, but Katie decided to avoid that area as the lights and sounds were a bit overwhelming to her senses. Michael could tackle that section if he wanted. There was also poker, blackjack, roulette, and a few other games she didn't know the names of. She paused at a roulette table to watch. She ended up putting a quarter down on black 15, to which she got a "Money plays" from the attendant. The ball didn't land on her spot, but she just shrugged and headed over to the bar. She ordered a water, sat down, and listened to her surroundings. She tried to pick up on individual conversations, only pulling her scarf down to sip her water. It didn't take long before she picked up on a couple of familiar voices, neither of them Dillon's, though. That would have been too easy.

"I can't believe that stupid son of a bitch was given another chance after all the crap he's pulled! I don't know why the boss didn't put him out of our misery right then and there!" Dakota complained to a woman Katie recognized as his wife Mariah.

"If he bothers you so much, why don't you deal with him yourself, make it look like an accident." Mariah suggested. "You can't be the only one who has problems with him."

"I'm not but I would probably be the first one suspected since I'm complaining the loudest and Johnny ain't stupid." He sighed. "But damn if it isn't tempting to get rid of him after this thing is over, even if somehow it all doesn't go to shit."

Well that was interesting. Could they maybe be talking about Dillon? If so it sounded like he was digging himself a pretty deep hole. What the heck was he up to?

While she watched and listened for more information she hadn't noticed someone else watching her, but Michael noticed. The man kept glancing down at a small picture and then back at her. Michael raised his com to speak with KITT.

"KITT I may have something and so does Katie. There's a man and woman at a blackjack table 50 feet to Katie's left and another man about 25 feet in front of me at the end of a row of slots." He informed his partner.

"I see them Michael." KITT confirmed.

"Good keep an eye on them with your scanner in case we lose sight of them. The way this guy is watching Katie is giving me a bad feeling."

KITT was silent a moment before responding. "I won't take my eyes off of him." The AI assured.

KITT's protective tone didn't escape Michael's notice, not to mention he had used the word him instead of them indicating that thecAI intended to pay special attention to Katie's watcher. Michael wasn't surprised by this. He was the same way with Bonnie. Michael was snapped back to focus when the man watching Katie began moving closer to her but then veered off down another row of slots. He caught a glance of something black in the man's hand. Michael's first thought was that it was a gun and he was prepared to tackle the guy but he quickly realized it was a walkie talkie and stopped himself. He was still watching Katie but he wasn't moving any closer for the moment.

Katie was still listening to Dakota's rant. There wasn't any information of value until the bartender walked over and handed him a slip of paper with a "You have a call sir." Dakota read the message and glanced over the bar in the direction of the pay phones. Their eyes met for a moment, but if he recognized her he made no indication. Trying not to look eager or nervous, Katie stood up and headed in the direction of the phones before Dakota had even moved. It wouldn't look like she was following him because in reality she wasn't and she had the perfect cover for going this direction. Right next to the phones we're the restrooms. She could use the entrance of the lady's room as cover to listen. It was much quieter over here so it was easy to hear when Dakota made his call.