«9»

(Time skip - Lynette went under a fake name and was put into foster care. Also, this will be told from Jacob's POV.)

'You excited, buddy?' asked dad.

I nodded, smiling slightly. 'I guess.'
'Now Jake, I know we've gone over this a million times, but we both want you to be extra nice to her, okay; she's been through a lot. Got it?' Mom said from over her shoulder.
'Got it.'
'Alright, we're here! Let's go get our girl!' Dad pulled into the parking lot of the foster home.

'Hello there! You must be the Portmans.' An elderly woman came from behind the counter and shook my parent's hands. 'I'm the foster care worker, and my name is Ms Warren. Make yourselves comfortable, and I'll go fetch her.' She turned around and disappeared through the door. A few moments later, Ms Warren came back with the girl. She had long brown hair, and wore a simple t-shirt and a pair of jeans. Her head was hung low, before she looked up and me and my parents and smiled.

My mom walked over to and hugged her. She pulled away after a few seconds and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. 'It's a pleasure to finally meet you. Welcome to the family, hon.'
'That means a lot, Mrs Portman. Thank you.' she said softly.
'How you doing, kid?' Dad patted her shoulder.
'Good, thank you.'
Mom looked from behind her shoulder at me again. The girl's eyes trailed to me, a curious gaze in them. 'Come on. Introduce yourself.'
I stepped forward and held out my hand. 'I-uh-I'm Jake.'
She shook it gently. 'Lydia. I hope we can get along well together Jake.'

'Well then,' dad clapped his hands together, 'how about we hit the road, and you can get settled in Lydia?'
'Sounds good.' I said. 'You need any help with your stuff?'
Lydia shook her head. 'I'm good, thanks.'

'So,' dad said on the way home, 'tell us a bit about yourself Lydia.'
'Like what?' she asked.
He shrugged. 'I don't know. Things like your birthday, hobbies, plans for the future, that kind of stuff.'
'Well, I'm 17, my birthday is December 3rd, I like reading and studying biology, and...' she paused, before, 'I haven't really thought about the future yet, I guess.'

'Well, you still got a while to go yet. Here we are. Jake, me and your mom have to head out, could you show Lydia around the house?' I looked at Lydia and smiled, 'Sure.'

Jesus, when I said this would take some time, I didn't think it would be this long
Sorry about that!
Also sorry that this is short!
Hope you liked it still!
Love you!
-Katelyn x